Yuck, over sulphited. Is it ruined?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neviawen

Reaction score
Ok, I realized I goofed after I did it but I added too much Kmeta when stabilizing a 6 gallon batch of Skeeter Pee today.
Instead of 1 tsp of kmeta I accidently added 1 tablespoon. I stirred it in and just by the over sulphity smell I realized I goofed up.
So what do I do? I was going to put the sparklloid in it and let it sit to clear but now I'm wondering if I should let this sit out a day or so to air out? Any ideas?

~Kate

No it's trashed I'll be over with an empty carboy and we can just swap and call it even. I really don't know but they will.

It smells like the kmeta I sanitize with. lol The smell gives me a headache..

I use Iodophor for that reason, kmeta gives me a headache too. And I goofed too, forgot to add it to my black cherry must. Will make sure I do add it when I put it in secondaries.

I wonder if you can stir it really good and if that will get rid of it? I don't know, just a thought.

Neviawen, let it age, you will be fine.

Sammyk, I am not sure if you can add Iodophor to the wine itself. I really do not believe that is good for your wine. I sanitize with Iodophor but always add k-meta to my wine.

cpfan is more knowledgable about this than I am, I'm sure he will comment.

the more I think of this, you are putting iodine into your wine, you can not do that this is for sanitizing purposes only.

Can someone else come on with more knowledge about this?

Iodophor is an excellent sanitizer (especially for large pieces of equipment like presses ect.) but its not an antioxidant which is why you are adding it (sulfite) to your wine.

I was looking on another forum and someone over there had an old post about putting too much kmeta in their wine and someone else told them to add hydrogen peroxide. That is supposed to remove free SO2. I can't imagine adding that to wine though.. I dump that into open wounds! There is a calculator on how to add it to wine on this site. Has anyone else done this? http://vinoenology.com/calculators/SO2-addition/

You could pour the SP back to a bucket and use a drill and mix stir along with some splash racking. That is ALOT of sulfite so its going to take ALOT of O2 to git rid of the taste/smell.

If its an antioxidant doest that mean her wine will not oxidize until the kmeta oxidizes first.

Actually that method should work quite well as long as you get your amounts of everything you add correct into the calculator and you come up with the correct amount to add. That is a good website with lots of good info.

I was looking on another forum and someone over there had an old post about putting too much kmeta in their wine and someone else told them to add hydrogen peroxide. That is supposed to remove free SO2. I can't imagine adding that to wine though.. I dump that into open wounds! There is a calculator on how to add it to wine on this site. Has anyone else done this? http://vinoenology.com/calculators/SO2-addition/

I knew I should have paid more attention in chemistry in college.. I didn't think I actually had to retain any of that information after I got my grade!

I have the SP in a bucket and been stirring the crap out of it w/ a spoon. I may go to the store and get a drill degasser and see how that goes.. Thanks for all the good advice guys and gals. :)

Yes, she has an overabundance of free SO2 now in her wine. You can react it with O2 to make SO3 (bound sulfite) which will no longer be available to react and not have the smell or react it with Hydrogen Peroxide which forms H2SO4 which is Sulfuric Acid, thus the reason to make sure you get your amount to add correct the first time.

If its an antioxidant doest that mean her wine will not oxidize until the kmeta oxidizes first.

You normally add one QUARTER TEASPOON of potassium metabisulfite to it, not one full teaspoon, let alone a tablespoon. That would be 12 times the normal amount. You have your work cut out for you.

Just for the record, I use kmeta in my must and at stabilizing and Iodophor for sterilizing. Not sure where you got the idea that I was using Iodophor in the must........

I use Iodophor for that reason, kmeta gives me a headache too. And I goofed too, forgot to add it to my black cherry must. Will make sure I do add it when I put it in secondaries.

I wonder if you can stir it really good and if that will get rid of it? I don't know, just a thought.

From this post. You stated that you use iodophor instead of k-meta and forgot to add it to your cherry must.

Sorry I was not clearer, she was talking about adding too much kmeta and I added that forgot mine.

Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) is a powerful oxidizer and can be used to reduce SO2*level in wine (link 1). However by using Hydrogen peroxide, you risk oxidizeing the wine too much. this leads to the formation of bad acetaldehydes from the reaction with ethanol. If you are going to use this method you should FIRST test for the amount of free SO2. And i mean the Actual measured amount not just the "I added this much so it should give me this much method :d" and then go from there

Runningwolf posted a link a while back. http://vinoenology.com/calculators/SO2-addition/

I had used this link in the past when I was messing around in the lab at school by over sulphiting and under sulphiting on purpose for a project.
http://www.knockanore.com/Winemaking/cellar_ops/additions/hydrogen_peroxide.htm

I have never been in this situation as of yet knock on wood.
But I am surprised no one has mentioned using copper yet.
Maybe they did and I skimmed over it?

Back