Other your top favorite 5 ( or more) red fruity wines?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corinth

Reaction score
You have yet to steer me wrong on other recommendations but while in the past, I have done the white wine(eg. peach chardonnay, coconut frascati) but now I am looking for a quick drinking red wine, something in the area of island mist or others I assume. I said five just in case, you had multiple recommendations.

There are several I have been eyeing but your first hand experience is very valuable.

And as for tweaking, I will get to that once I have made some decisions.

Thank you,
corinth:dg

Last edited:
Its not red (rose) but the Orchard Breezin Watermelon Wave (Formerly Watermelon White Merlot) by RJS is hard to beat for the summer:r

I would get Dave's Dragon Blood recipe. It is a very quick drinker, easy to make and the variations of fruits/flavors are endless. For quick, fruity drinkers, I always make that or I take lemon and lime juice, ferment it down into alcohol, then rack onto numerous Old Orchard flavors, ie: blueberry pomegranate, cherry, cranberry, etc. Another very good, quick drinker.

favorite red fruity grape wines

The Orchid came to mind but is more of a white wine and as I mentioned, the peach chardonnay, the coconut frascati, a sweet muscat and a sweet riesling all fit into those categories.

The Dragon blood I have but that is more of a straight forward fruit based wine.

I hear myself playing the "yes but game" but I know it will be narrowed down to something like the "blackberry red zinfindel" that joe made or I am making a pinot noir and slit it down the middle and keep one with a hint of fresh blackberries and the other half a higher ABV and put enough blackberries in the secondary.
or some of their varieties: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/winemaking-ingredients/wine-recipe-kits/island-mist.html

I appreciate your quick response!
Corinth

So it sounds like you are looking for a quick drinking "grape" wine then.

favorite red fruity quick drinking red wine?

I think you nailed it down:slp.

Anyone have a favorite:??

Thanks,
Corinth

Corinth,

I purchased four Orchard Breezin Mist kits from my LHBS that he was getting rid of because they were getting older (a very good deal pricewise). Two of them were a "Cranberry Craze" which I believe is a Chianti/Cranberry wine. Here's what RJS says on their website:

Cranberry Craze
The crisp taste of fresh cranberries is harmoniously blended with fruity, velvety richness in this sweet, plum-red wine. The robust, yet elegant, sweet berry flavours make it a perfect backyard refresher.

I plan on upping the starting SG to 1.080 with some simple syrup since these kits tend to be lower alcohol. I have a Green Apple Delight going right now that is in the clearing stages. Only other tweak I did was to add half of the flavor pack provided to the ferment, just later when the SG got to about 1.010 or so, since I see on the box that the f-pack contains some potassium sorbate. I think it would have been way to sweet for my wife and my tastes if I put the whole f-pack in after stabilizing. Figured by then the yeast is about as populated as it's gonna get and there should be enough to finish fermentation, which it did to .994.

Sorry I haven't made it yet, but no one seems to be stepping up to the plate with any suggestions, so I figured I throw this one out for you to ponder.

Good luck!

So I've been in the "read only" mode lately. But as I sip on a WE GSM that I thieved from the barrel during top up, I realized, hmmm this is fruity. So, other than the fact that this is almost a year old (can't find my notes) it may fit the bill. I was impressed with the cellar craft GSM with skins and now (after barrel aging) with the wine expert GSM. I hated the WE mezza Luna red. WE Carmenere and thought the WE Riesling ice wine needs the 18 months to come around but still too sweet. Hope I helped?

Oops, forgot. One of the four cheap kits I bought was a Acai Raspberry Rapture.

Acai Raspberry Rapture
Acai, a small dark purple fruit that is so tasty, that you can hardly believe it is also good for you. This intense fruit combined with sweet, ripe raspberries create a powerhouse of a wine.

The base wine is a Cabernet Sauvignon. Won't make this one till last since it has the latest date on it.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=560965#post560965

Wow,
you got my mouth watering on that last one! Acai
raspberry---YUMMO!
!Where did you by it?

"Two of them were a "Cranberry Craze" which I believe is a Chianti/Cranberry wine. Here's what RJS says on their website"
That also sounds Yammissio!

Please tell me they are still available somewhere!!!!

Corinth

Last edited:
Mosti Mondale, Summer Breeze
Raspberry Merlot
This is a very nice kit that I made about a year and a half ago and it was my first kit and turned out great.

Will

For all of you that have made these Island Mist kits, what is their starting SG if you all are raising it to 1.080? It would appear they are in the 1.060-1.070 range to start.

For all of you that have made these Island Mist kits, what is their starting SG if you all are raising it to 1.080? It would appear they are in the 1.060-1.070 range to start.

That s correct about the starting SG. If my memory serves me right the Raspberry Merlot started at 1.066. It was my first kit and so I went by the instructions. Didn't change anything.

Will

Wow, so those are about 7%'ish ABV if left alone. I see why you bump them up.
Thanks.

five or more favorite red fruity wine

I did the cornucopia peach chardonnay (rated number five by wine maker magazine)and the coconut frascasti and bumped up the abv to about 12%. I also cut back on the sec pouch since it made them tooo sweet for me.
I may also do the same for whichever red I decide upon. I did not realize that Mosti Mondale had such an interesting selection of reds.

I have quite a few reds that are in bulk aging and quite a few white wines which do not need the long term bulk aging as the reds. I have made my wine from some of my own freshly grown grown grapes to fresh juice to some low end to fairly high end kits like my super tuscan(waiting for joe)

Corinth

My favorite is Cranberry/Pomegranate. I make a batch about every 3 months. I use 100% juice from Walmart. The wine is fabulous! It has great flavor and color. I add enough sugar to get to a starting SG of 1.090. I ferment dry (.995 or below) and bulk age for a few months. I backsweeten in one gallon batches after 6mo+ aging. The amount of backsweetening changes based on the age of the wine. The longer it ages the less it needs. It tastes great dry, but I prefer it sweet.

Back