Other Your Top 5 Wine Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Kenridge Founder's kit and it says "Italy Brunello Style " .

Must say style since its not vinted in the DOCG but in your house. I would assume the grapes were fron Italy.

I am not trying to stir up the pot here, and I love Brunello di Montalcino wine. It is one of my 5 favorite Italian wines. I know that certain producers designate their kits as "Brunello" and I think they should more accurately be called "Sangiovese." Brunello is a wine that is, yes, made from Sangiovese grapes (the best ones from a particular vintage) but also following a specific process, testing and aging schedule (4 years in oak for Normale and 5 years for Riserva). Along the way the wine is tested and tasted to assure that it is developing properly. If it is, the wine is allowed to reach full maturity and is designated Brunello di Montalcino (which would be the Normale) or Brunello di Montalcino Reserva. If at any time during the process the wine makers determine that the wine is not progressing satisfactorily, it is "downgraded" to Rosso di Montalcino and released.

My point is, one does not know if grapes or juice will produce a Brunello until it is wine and has met the requirements for the designation, so how can the kit, which has not even started, be designated Brunello? I think it is more a marketing strategy.

All good points. Brunello and its little brother Rosso must be from Sangeivese Groso, a strain of Sangeovese. Tin V. Assured me that is the grape they sorse but from another Italian region not the DOCG. Im okay calling mine Brunello cause its just that dog gone good. :db:db

Last edited:
All good points. Brunello and its little brother Rosso must be from Sangeivese Groso, a strain of Sangeovese. Tin V. Assured me that is the grape they sourse but from another Italian region not the DOCG. Im okay calling mine Brunello cause its just that dog gone good. :db:db

Having had the pleasure of tasting your wine, I have no doubt at all! You could probably get away with Grande Riserva!

I can never do anything simple. Below are my five favorite wine kits that are generally available all of the time. The second list are my favorite Limited and/or no longer available kits.

Fab Five:

Yakima Syrah w/grape pack, CC Showcase
Brunello, RJS Cru Select
Nero D'Avola WE, with grape pack WE
Rosso Fortisimo - w/Grape Pack CC Showcase
Super Tuscan RJS Winery w/skins

No longer available:

Amarone MM Meglioli
Petite Verdot WE LE
Nebbiolo, CC, LR
TORO (Tempranillo Grenache) RJS RQ
Trapani Sicillian Syrah RJS EP

How about the Petite Verdot from WE grape skins? I've bought them for $100 a kit and think they're pretty good. In fact I have 6 gallons bulk aging. The Nero kits from WE are excellent and one of my favorites.

How about the Petite Verdot from WE grape skins? I've bought them for $100 a kit and think they're pretty good. In fact I have 6 gallons bulk aging. The Nero kits from WE are excellent and one of my favorites.
I've done the first year PV LE, then the reprise of that kit and then the with skins kit. The first seemed to knock our socks off, the following two were good but wouldn't make my top five . . . yet.

1. RJS Cellar Classic Winery Series Super Tuscan
2. WE Estate Selection Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir
3. Paklab ANTICA VENDEMMIA Cab with grape pack
4. WE Estate Selection Chateau Du Roi
5. Tie Paklab RESERVE DU CHATEAU (6.1L kits) Nero D'Avola & Barolo doctored-up

Cellar Craft Red Mt Cab (in primary but I can tell its going to break into the top 5)

1. RJS Cellar Classic Winery Series Super Tuscan
2. WE Estate Selection Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir
3. Paklab ANTICA VENDEMMIA Cab with grape pack
4. WE Estate Selection Chateau Du Roi
5. Tie Paklab RESERVE DU CHATEAU (6.1L kits) Nero D'Avola & Barolo doctored-up

Cellar Craft Red Mt Cab (in primary but I can tell its going to break into the top 5)

Sorry if this thread is a little old, but I am really curious how you doctored up the Paklab kits so that they ended up 5th in your all time best? Are you sharing your recipe? :)

Top 5 list

Out of curiosity, I decided to compile the list of favorites and rank them by popularity. I only included those kits currently available (to my knowledge). No surprises here if you read the posts but a rather impressive list. I suspect you couldn't go wrong with anything from the list. As you can see, there are a few real winners and a whole bunch of good options.

RJS Cellar Classic Winery Series Super Tuscan 10
Cellar Craft Red mountain Cab 6
Cellar Craft Showcase Rosso Fortissimo 4
CC Showcase Amarone 2

Everything else has one mention each.

RJS Cellar Classic
WS Amarone RJS
Orange Chocolate Port
RJS Cru Select BC Okanagan Meritage
WE Eclipse New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignan Blanc
RJS Winery Series Old Vine Zinfandel
Wine Expert Selection International w/grape skins Nero D'Avola