Your thoughts

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrs26ja

Reaction score
Being my first batch of wine making I am not sure about anything soI am very greatful for this forumn. As my first kit (Christmas gift) I made a Wine Expert Barolo. I pitched the yeast on Sat night around 10PM. Yesterday there was foam on the top and the wine smelled wonderful. This morning the foam seem to be gone but the wine was fizzing or bubbling. I am assuming this is normal and part of the fermentation. The wine smelled funny, like a musty smell. Is this normal? My friend says yes, this is why they call it MUST. Any thoughts?

Your friend is correct. Making wine you will have a few diferent "smells". Starting with a kit is great because they do alot of the work for you. Just follow their directions. Make sure everything touching the wine that's it santized.
Good luck and welcome to a great hobby ( obsession )
smiley36.gif

Wines will go through a range of smells while fermenting. Just document everything you see, smell, taste and test. Compare these to the different kits as you go and you will soon notice similarities. Keep in mind that the kit makers have tried their best to make these kits as simple as possible so our chances for success are very high. You have started off with a great wine that once aged will be very good. Have you started thinking about your next kit? You may want to consider a white because for the most part whites are much earlier drinkers and that will help you allow this current one to age.
VPC

here is something that is pretty much rule of thumb....your wine has three phases

Phase one: tastes great
Phase two: Yuck!
Phase three: tastes great!

1- grape juice
2- future wine
3-wine

corrollary - phase three depends on phase two

You will hear a faint crackling/bubbling sound when the yeasts are feasting. The smells are somewhat bread-like with a fruity smell mixed in there.

For me....
The wine starts out smelling like fruit juices...
Then it gets the yeasty smell....like bread....
Then for a short time it doesn't smell very good....
Then it smells of wine....alcohol....

At the end it doesn't really have much of a smell to me...just those smells that people try to describe with those words like...
Fruity...
Oak...
Leather...etc.

rrs,
Did you notice all the questions about you next kit? Just cause we're hooked means we think you will be too!
Your reports indicate things are going along just fine but I don't believe that wine will be ready to drinkfor 18 months or so. So, you've got time for more! Do You like whites? You can get very drinkable whites in less timeso you have something to drink while the Barolo is developing. Mary and Iprefer reds but found the white kits very drinkable - and sooner too.Welcome and keep us posted.

Welcome! Sounds like all is going well. I love the smells in my little winery. It means my little yeasties are doing their job.
smiley1.gif

Youlasted longer than me, the day afterpitching I was down there getting the second kit and all the stuffto do emtwo at a time.

I would have done the same thing if it was possible. Since I was having a hard time convincing hubby on another kit I picked up some one gallon jugs and started making wines from scratch.
VPC

Make sure you taste the grape juice before, during and after fermentation and at every month or so. You'll be amazed at it progression and how it develops.

Latest posts

Back