your states hidden food.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
julie is this what you call bread egg..
if so...my mom would make this for me when i was young.
she called it adam are eve on a raft..
lol

My mother also made that was I was small. She called it moon over Miami.

so many names for the same dish..I wonder if our mothers changed the name to fit the child....could be.

I thought I invented that for my kids and called it "eggs in toast".

what the heck were you doing in Donaldsonville.....I am just a curious coon ***.

And I am curious what could be a three letter word following coon that would trip our forum's naughty-filter!

My honey and I were on a work trip to Baton Rouge, and had a night free. We went to Donaldsonville and had ourselves a slice of culture, and went to Lafitte's Landing and had a marvelous meal! :r

In eastern North Dakota it is a confluence of Norwegian cultures from the east in Minnesota and German cultures from the west side of the state. So it is not uncommon to find local restaurants serving knoephla soup (a German dumpling) and lefse (a Norwegian potato pancake) on the same menu.

I don't care for the lutefisk.

When I first arrived I was surprised to find people bringing cinnamon bread with cheese whiz hors d'oeuvres to parties. Often these would be topped with green olives. Strange.

And, of course, we have all kinds of "Hot Dish" which is an upper midwest term for "casserole" - you must try the tater tot hot dish some time.

I was once in your area of the woods on a speaking engagement. At a pause, I asked the crowd what food is most famous around here.

"HADDISH", the responded.

My imagination got the best of me. I am thinking that it is some rare middle-eastern thing.

Turns out that is the way the pronounce it.. HOT-Dish.

Didn't I feel like a fool.

In North Jersey, we have everything. if it moves, has a face, or grows, we have it.

One thing we have that stands out.. Real pizza (unlike that stuff you get in Chicago)

Last edited:
Sorry James, just saw where you asked what bread egg was. I believe it is a depression era dish. My grandfather and grandmother had 10 children all around the depression era and had a farm with a lot of chickens. My grandmother would make bread egg for breakfast for all the kids, it was cheap and filling. My mother and her siblings all continued serving this recipe. You takes a bowl full of eggs, add milk, beat like you are going to make scrambled eggs. Now take day old or older homemade bread, bread into pieces and put into egg mixture, add enough bread to soak up all the egg, put some butter into a fry pan, melt and add the breadegg. Fry it up! Put it on a plate add a pile of salt and pepper! Enjoy!

as i said we were poor also...my mom use to take ground meat brown it, add potatoes and onion and water, she called it hamburger soup.
she would pour it over bread...it was good then and I still make it...

You know, what i spend every month for cell phone,internet,sat tv,
food,entertainment....good have fed us for 4 months....
my life changed and familys life changed for ever when i started my first company...45 years ago.....i was 15 at the age of 16 i was making about 5000 a month.....i have no idea what that would equal today.

from 16 to 23 was a blur..i spend thousand and thousands of dollars partying,traveling, you know the type..
I decided to give the whole mess to my family, went back to school and got a degree...i have never looked back.

Huitlacoche

This is my country's hidden food, huitlacoche, it is a fungus that grows in corn, very delicious and normally eaten in tacos or quesadillas, it is part of our gourmet cuisine and it was included in the diet of Aztecs and Mayans...

huitla.jpg

Latest posts

Back