your opinion please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tucson

Reaction score
my last batch of jalapeño wine went south - fermentation never really happened.

here what I did;
3 gallon of water and sugar dissolved to 1.090
added 3 crushed campden tablets and chopped chili in a big.

8 hrs. later added: 1 1/2 tsp. of peptic enzyme

8 hrs. later added: yeast EC-1118 (this is where I think I messed up, a couple of hours before I mixed yeast with 1 cup of water, 1/2 tsp. sugar, 3/4 tsp. yeast nutrient and 2 drops of lemon juice).

after 4 days only dropped to 1.070

my questions:
1. how to add yeast - same or just sprinkle on top
2. when to add yeast nutrient
3. when to check PH level

Just folllow the yeast packet instructions. Put the yeast into 2 oz. of very warm water, let sit for 15min. then add to primary. You don't need to add sugar, nutrient and lemon juice to the yeast.

Yes, but not mixed in with your yeast. Add it according to recipe with all other ingredients, eg: pectic enzyme, energizer, campden, etc.

Don't add lemon juice for one. The acid hinders fermentation.
Second water has no nutrients for yeast even though you add yeast nutrients.
Third use white apple juice in lieu of water.
Fourth starting gravity 1.080 give the yeast a break.
Rehydrate yeast, see the tutorial on doing this to help your yeast to the maximum.

We have made jalapeño wine-It's excellent. Almost all gone. Time for more.

jalapeno wine

why did you stray from your original formula it was spot on!:ft

Yeah! Found the notes from when I made the last batch. And yes Joe this batch will have lime jest in the secondary instead of the mint.

Wouldn't the lemon juice added to the rehydrating liquid put incredible strain on the yeast? I have to think that adding that kind of acidity to the yeast as it wakes from its state of suspended animation would be like feeding someone who has just woken from a coma a pint of whisky. I suspect that the strongest yeast cells were able to survive and they were able to munch on the sugar but the rest of the yeast probably were not able to transfer nutrients through their cell walls because of the acidity in the liquid so you were left with only a tiny colony of yeast hobbled by the acidity they were forced to deal with at the beginning

Adding to the mix

place the lime in 1 week before bottling, okay?:wy

Yes, I will jest 4 to 5 limes and stir in after chemicals and removing gas. Leave for a week, filter out the jest and bottle. You,get one of the bottles.

Back