Your Numbers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Varietal - Cabernet Sauvignon
2. Location Grown - Lodi
3. Whole Fruit
4. BRIX - 24
5. PH - 4.00
6. TA - .45%

I am surprised the SG wasn't higher than it was given how hot I hear things are in California. I assumed Lodi might be off the charts.

I added some acid to bring it up to 6 g/l but I want to keep this a bit low to blend with an earlier frozen bucket that got a bit high at 8.4 g/l

That has all the markings of overripe fruit (hung too long on the vine), pH goes up, TA goes down as the acids start to fall apart and breakdown.

That has all the markings of overripe fruit (hung too long on the vine), pH goes up, TA goes down as the acids start to fall apart and breakdown.

Yes, agreed about the pH and acid but given that I expected the sugar would be higher.

The good news is the clusters looked nice. Small berries, no raisins, no mold.

Sugars can go up or down based on moisture content. If the grapes were watered just before hand then Brix goes down. If water is with held before harvest you can drive Brix up.

I have had fruit like that before and they turned out OK, You usually can't get the pH in the sweet spot but you can usually find a happy middle ground for both pH and TA.

I have the exact opposite problem - the acids are way too high. I don't have TA numbers but the brix and pH was measured on the grapes I'm getting after being sampled on Monday.

Grape Brix pH
----------------------------------------------
Frontenac 23.0 2.77
King of the North 24.9 2.73
Frontenac Gris 22.4 2.83
Prairie Star 19.0 2.96
La Crescent 21.8 2.88

These will be picked starting on Friday, Oct 2. I'm hoping the pH gets above 3.00.

1. Sangiovese
2. Somewhere in California
3. Whole Fruit
4. BRIX - 26
5. PH -3.44
6. TA - .65

Temp 60

First time with all grapes. Would any of you change these numbers?

003.jpg

Right!? I'm going to double check the numbers in the am before I pitch yeast.

I would add a little water, no tartaric to lower your brix down to ~24. And then recheck pH and TA. Might bring the pH up might not either way 26 brix is to high ABV IMHO. Fruit looks good!

Paid homage to Dionysus this morning.

Took new readings as well.

BRIX - 25.9
PH -3.53
TA - .65

Temp 72

ibglowin do you still recommend watering down a bit? Just straight water and then adjust PH and/or TA if necessary?

Thanks

Lanza fruit for me this year.

Cabernet Sauvignon: Brix 24.8, TA .65
Syrah: Brix 25, TA .55
Petit Sirah: Brix 25, TA~.52

I tweaked the acid on the Syrah and PS, left the Cab alone.

Thats a little high (Brix) IMHO. That would produce a wine at 15.8% ABV which would be hot.

I would knock it down with some plain water and recheck the TA and pH. Those chemistry numbers are very good so a slight tartaric acid addition may also be necessary.

Paid homage to Dionysus this morning.

Took new readings as well.

BRIX - 25.9
PH -3.53
TA - .65

Temp 72

ibglowin do you still recommend watering down a bit? Just straight water and then adjust PH and/or TA if necessary?

Thanks

1. Varietal - Chardonel
2. Location - Spring Grove, PA, York County
3. Whole Fruit (90 lbs) crushed and pressed this morning (5.75 gallons)
4. BRIX -24
5. PH - 3.21
6. TA - 8.7 g/L

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back