your favorite wine recipe kit for newbies

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Love to hear recommendations for 6 gal wine recipe kits you've done. I've made one Master Vintner Merlot (weekday wine) kit, and it turned out kind of dull. My tastes for reds are generally Merlots and Malbecs, and for whites, Sauvignon Blancs and Pinot Grigios. Looking for full body, light tannins. Go.

I’d suggest to try kits different manufacturers to see if you have a preference. I thought the WE Stags Leap Merlot was pretty good before I tried some of the RJS En Primere kits. I highly prefer the RJS kits but everyone’s preferences are a bit different so just try to get a feel for what you like.

For the RJS, the Amarone Classico, Super Tuscan and Cab have all been pretty good. The Amarone Classico is my favorite.

I made the WineExperts World Vineyard Washington Merlot and everyone seems to like it and the Stag Leap Merlot is also a big hit for just a little bit more money

My first one was the Mosti All Juice Nero D'Avola. I only bottled it on November 23 and it tasted quite good just 2 weeks after that. I have already drunk 9 bottles and will definitely make it again.

Some things I liked about it:
It is a full 6 gallons of juice, so no adding water to it. Had to add a bit of store-bought Nero to top off when I racked from the primary fermenter into the carboy, but that's it.

The kit doesn't contain skins, so it is very straightforward, just add oak chips and yeast to the juice.

I am currently making a RJS Super Tuscan, based on recommendations here. It is in the clarification stage, and will probably bottle it mid-February, 2 months after starting clarification.

In the wings is a WE Eclipse Nebbiolo, which I will start maybe next weekend.

I’m my opinion, whites are much more representative of their respective grapes/styles than reds when talking kits(even in the smaller format kits). I think it has something to do with the extraction of the reds. And they also (generally) need less aging, so you get to enjoy your efforts sooner.

So since you have done a red and you enjoy whites, I’d suggest a couple of whites in a style/grape that you enjoy.

Jbo

Latest posts

Back