Your favorite "Off-beat" Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p funky

Junior
Reaction score
What's the strangest thing you ever shoved into a fermenter? The oddest wine you've ever made? And... was it any good?

I'll go first: Right now, I have a Fig Sherry going on- it's aging in the secondary carboy.

It's strong (about 18%), but it should be fairly smooth, and have all kinds of interesting, meaty flavors to it.

For me it's my 'Hop Wine' - I found the recipe in a 'country wine' book and used some leftover hops from a beer I'd made. It's aging now for a while and is slowly clearing. I recently racked it and it tasted better than I'd been expecting it to! :)

i tried the exotica wine recipe, using bananas, mangos and pineapple.
only problem is i was to add 7 lbs of sugar but added 12 as i thought the bags were 1 kilo(2.2 lbs x 3 = 6.6 lbs) but they were actually 2 kilos.(duh)
i then added extra water to reduce the og to 1.092.
ended up with about 30 litres instead of 23. - hope it will taste ok.

Mine has to be the Kumquat mead. It is an unorthodox recipe that many use called Joe M's Ancient Mead. I just modified it to fit my needs and came out great. I had made the original recipe with oranges before and it was very good so I thought I would modify it to use the kumquats. It turned out very smooth and tasty. It was quite well received at Winestock in Dallas last May. I was quite proud of my efforts.

Smurfe :)

Mine has to be the Kumquat mead. It is an unorthodox recipe that many use called Joe M's Ancient Mead. I just modified it to fit my needs and came out great. I had made the original recipe with oranges before and it was very good so I thought I would modify it to use the kumquats. It turned out very smooth and tasty. It was quite well received at Winestock in Dallas last May. I was quite proud of my efforts.

Smurfe :)
You didn't follow the instructions!!!!!! Joe's Ancient Mead shouldn't be altered!;)

Just kidding - Your Mead looked great in the pics you posted in another thread, beautiful colour and crystal clear too! :)

I've now got something in my primary that may make my 'hop wine' seem normal...... :D

Nothing too mad so far, made a tinned lychee and dried elderflower wine in April, still waiting for it to mellow out. I thought sweet and dry would balance out. Came out very astringent (I think) and had a real dry kick to it. Last tried it in October and it had calmed down a bit...

I made a Jalapeno-Apple wine last year, and have been using it for cooking purposes. It's great in Chili and Maranades. After a year of aging though it has mellowed into a good sipping wine. Mind you, I do not drink much at any one sitting, a couple ounces goes a long way. I started out with a 1 gallon recipe from Jack Keller's site, using 16 Jalapenos. I added too much sugar, and used a gallon of Apple juice to get the SG back down to 1.090, and pitched Montrachet yeast. It finished at an SG of .992, I did not use the Jalapeno seeds when making it.
Dave

I made a kiwi/Grapefruit that was incredibly good. Used Champagne yeast.

I thought I would try this one out because it sounded kind of good. I started it back in august and just bottled it. Wow! it is really good, I am definitely going to start a five gallon batch. I used a grapefruit recipe from Jack Keller's site and just added Kiwi Fruit as well.

Nothing too mad so far, made a tinned lychee and dried elderflower wine in April, still waiting for it to mellow out. I thought sweet and dry would balance out. Came out very astringent (I think) and had a real dry kick to it. Last tried it in October and it had calmed down a bit...

I still have about 10 cans of lychees in the garage.
I also have one ot two recipes.
Would you share yours so I can see if I can
tweak it a bit.

Luc

Elderberry

Last year I made a gallon of Elderberry and man did it ever turn out. I had six bottles and let it age for about six months and when we tryed it. WOW!!! I am making 12 gallons right now and can't wait to get it done. It had great flavor and had some punch. Couldn't stay out of it. I started in December with the next 12 can't wait.

Gatoraide

I just made a gallon of wine out of gatoraide for a couch potato sports fan friend of mine, have no idea how it will turn out. Plan to test it out on him when he's not looking.

Juniper/hawthorn berry wine

I have a batch of juniper/ hawthorne wine just finishing up now, and it tastes like a fruity/piny(almost like a grapefruit taste, but with other flavors added). I also am now making a black current wine, using honey as a sweetener(I just started this one, so I'll let you know how it turns out..)

i tried the exotica wine recipe, using bananas, mangos and pineapple.
only problem is i was to add 7 lbs of sugar but added 12 as i thought the bags were 1 kilo(2.2 lbs x 3 = 6.6 lbs) but they were actually 2 kilos.(duh)
i then added extra water to reduce the og to 1.092.
ended up with about 30 litres instead of 23. - hope it will taste ok.

Hi there
I was wondering where to find this recipe as I would love to try it. How did yours turn out?

I want to hear how the lime coconut one turned out that sounds a bit of me if it tatses anything like the ingredients!

Tabasco pepper red wine..

it's bulk aging at present .. is nice and warming with a bit of a kick.. it toned down amazingly after fermentation finished.. and betting by xmas it'll be a nice sipping wine.

I will probably make another 5 gallon batch judging by the way this is going.

Latest posts

Back