Your favorite "Off-beat" Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Smurfe... when you increase the recipe for the Ancient Mead, do you still use one packet of the bread yeast or do you increase that too? We love ours but only made one gallon. We were going to try a different recipe. There's some that say this is not a real mead. Never even tasted mead before this recipe.

A friend of mine made "holy water" which is 15 lbs of sugar, 6 gallons of water, and yeast- no fruit. He just adds kool-aid to it.... It taste just like kool-aid, with a slight bite, pretty good.:D

raspberry chipotle, which is a roller coaster of taste. really good though. sweet, then raspberry, then pepper and finally heat as it goes down. not hot, but more of a straight mild sauce from taco hell type heat.

green tomato. suprisingly good. much like lemonade, with hint of tomato as it goes down.

pecan. mmmm. buttery sweetness to a mild nut flavor. so good.

jalapeno. real hot, but real tasty if you can handle it.

more to come! got some more ideas brewing!

Last edited:
Hey Smurfe... when you increase the recipe for the Ancient Mead, do you still use one packet of the bread yeast or do you increase that too? We love ours but only made one gallon. We were going to try a different recipe. There's some that say this is not a real mead. Never even tasted mead before this recipe.

I have made 5 gallons with one packet before. I don't really know the average cell count in a packet if bread yeast. I don't believe it is any weaker than a packet of wine yeast though.

Rosepetal wine--i used white grape concentrate as the base and Monet and Mr Lincoln petals. I helped with a fundraiser in which they sprayed petals all over their tables as the decor. Silly rabbits were gonna just throw away 6 gallons of petals!!! Tastes like a blush zinfindel. Amazing! I am considering bartering with some local florists for their petals in return for wine. The petals afford a slight opalescense to the liquid. Hmmm.

Dhorton,

I'm doing about the same thing with a crystal light wine. My thoughts are to make a base or "holy water" as you put it and just add one of the little packets of cyrstal light. It can be one of the little ones you use for the single servings of bottled water. I plan to make the base dry and let the sweetness come artificially from the packet so basically, sugar free.

e-wine

Tomato-Jalapeno

So, I WAY overplanted tomatoes this year and I started 5 gallons of tomato wine. When I was pressing the tomatoes I was staring at a couple of jalepenos on the counter and decided "why not" and chopped them up with the maters. Anyone ever done this? How did it turn out? Mine just started bubbling tonight :gb

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and winemaking but I fancy I know a bit about wine from research and such. First off, Gatorade? Really? Wouldn't the preservative kill of the yeast? If not, how did it turn out? My girlfriend is obsessed with Powerade so I figure your recipe should transfer. Second, I've been searching for a good juniper berry wine/mead recipe for awhile and can't seem to find one. If someone could provide I'd be very thankful!

Latest posts

Back