Your favorite corkscrew/puller

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balatonwine

The Verecund Vigneron
Reaction score
For years, my favorite way to remove a cork was with a cork puller I purchased in Napa, and which has traveled with me from CA to NV to CH (i.e. Switzerland) to HU (i.e. Hungary).

2017-10-09-14-40-27.jpg

Then my wife bought me a hand made walnut cork screw and I have to admit this has become my favorite cork puller.

2017-10-09-14-41-11.jpg

What is your personal favorite tool to remove a cork?

Nice looking tools there!

Over the years, I have bought or received as gifts many nice corkscrews. Primarily, they have been "standard" folding corkscrews, but with nice handles, etc. However, I don't like any of these better than a good (but cheap) waiter's corkscrew with the all-important hinged lever. My nice ones all lack this double lever. As most of us have likely experienced, this feature keeps the fulcrum of the lever firmly against the lip of the bottle, so there is no chance of the lever slipping off the neck.

The picture below shows one with a wheeled foil cutter. I (slightly) prefer a little knife, but the lever is what I am trying to show:

332755.jpg

A wire-helix worm is important, too. (Slight preference for Teflon coating>)

worms.gif

This double hinged, wood handle stAinless steel jobber.. Less than $8 delivered.

This is the same one I use.

I used to use a Vinomaster wine bottle opener which was nice, but sometimes it would drive a cork right down into the bottle. That got old quick and I went with the premium waiters corkscrew with the double hinged fulcrum. (as others have pointed out, the fulcrum is key!)

If something happens to it, I would without question replace it with another.

I mostly have a bunch as decorations in the winery but do like and use the center (4th from the left) bell style out there or on the patio. In the house or when opening a lot of bottles I use the other style, don't know the name but it's quick and easy and even pulls the screw from the cork in one quick draw.
Mike

CorkScrews.jpg

GoToScrew.png

Nice collection!

In the house or when opening a lot of bottles I use the other style, don't know the name but it's quick and easy and even pulls the screw from the cork in one quick draw.

Although I think this is a brand name, usually people refer to that style as a rabbit.

Nice collection!

Although I think this is a brand name, usually people refer to that style as a rabbit.

Yes, this is what I was referring to as the Vinomaster. They are nice as it's drive and pull, then squeeze and pull to remove the cork, but as I said. On several occasions, when I was trying to drive it into the cork, it drove the cork into the bottle. :(

I still like double wing opener. It is much easier than the waiter's screw, even doesn't look very professional.

I use the same one as Kraffty. But I have a cork puller and folding cork screw cork remover for backup.

I use an electric one, not very elegant but it works.

I use the rabbit type most of the time, simple and easy motion. When I use the levered waiter style one I always feel like I am fiddling around with it too much or tend to pierce the cork- I don't like that small particles in the bottle at all.

Joe

As a little girl, I had no idea what this was for:
rBVaEVgSuiKAHtY3AABOPYXpbhA857.jpg

But it was always in my kitchen, and I thought it was an Atlantean artifact (too much Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis for me.) Now I kinda wish I had one. I currently rock normal, single lever corkscrew with a tiny knife.

Uhm.... Well.... Hmm.....

As the OP, and to nip any possible trend in the bud.... Let's keep it child friendly. For child like minds, like myself. Okay. :i
Gosh, I dunno what you mean. That child is simply taking a wee. :i

Latest posts

Back