your favorite ageing tannin?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oak cubes.
  • Cost effective.
  • Relatively predictable, compared to chips.
  • Easy to vary amounts.
  • Easy to mix different types.
The drawback is removal. So when I add cubes, I go a bit lower on quantity than many folks, and leave it in for the duration, 3 to 12 months.

Thanks. I've tried the Tan Cor products. riche something... I didn't see any measurable improvement.

I use Oak Spirals when aging - 1 per 6gal. I bulk age most of my reds 6months min...and then min 2months in a bottle before popping 1st cork. So far have been very happy with the results.

Cheers!

I believe there may be a slight misinterpretation concerning tannins. Oak alternatives and powered tannins are 2 different things and serve different purposes. Alternatives add an oaky flavor to the wine and to some extent add tannins. Powered tannins are not always derived from oak. Their purpose is to help the aging process and improve wines that are somehow lacking. Finishing and cellaring tannins are used post fermentation and sometimes added a few week prior to bottling. Sacrificial tannins are added at fermentation.

Back