Your Fav Pinot Noir Kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bmd2k1

Reaction score
Targeting a Pinot Noir for my next Red vino & wondering what everyone's favorite is -- and any feedback ya might have.

The 2 of most interest so far are:

RJS En Primeur Winery Series Pinot Noir (Australian) w/Skins

&

Finer Wines Pinot Noir w/double skins packs.

Thanks & Cheers!

Williams Brewing makes a good Pinot Noir kit that is not expensive. Suits me and my wife's tastes.

I have made 2 kits Winexpert Reserve Chilean Pinot Noir and a Master Vintner Pinot Noir. I don't think I have a favorite between them. Both have yielded a light, pleasant, fruity wine. Both were ready to drink rather quickly--within days of bottling--but definitely better with time in the bottle. I have a batch of Finer Wine Pinot Noir under way. Just racked it the other day. A bit tannic even though it had minimal time with skins during primary fermentation but t's still early

Targeting a Pinot Noir for my next Red vino & wondering what everyone's favorite is -- and any feedback ya might have.

The 2 of most interest so far are:

RJS En Primeur Winery Series Pinot Noir (Australian) w/Skins

&

Finer Wines Pinot Noir w/double skins packs.

Thanks & Cheers!
Finer Wines, one or no skin packs for Pinot.

I have made a few PN kits. A couple of different WE ones and I have the RJS w/skins bulk aging now. I like Pinot a lot but honestly have been less that thrilled with the kits I've made so far. The RJS kit was the first I ever did that included skins. Even the high end WE kits that usually include skins did not for the Pinot. With all that said, the next PN kit I do will likely be a Finer Wines.

For those doing a Finer Wines Pinot Noir....

Hows it going so far?

0, 1 or 2 skin paks?

Gonna bulk age & how long?

What kind/type/config oak in bulk aging if any?

For those doing a Finer Wines Pinot Noir....

Hows it going so far?

0, 1 or 2 skin paks?

Gonna bulk age & how long?

What kind/type/config oak in bulk aging if any?
I started a FW Pinot Noir May 12 with 2 grape skins and racked off the oak provided on June 10. Currently looks like about 3/4" sediment in the bottom of the 6 gallon carboy, so I'll probably rack in the next few weeks so the Lees is a little thinner. Plan to bulk age until September. Taste was good for a young wine. I'm looking to see if 1 grape skins pack may be better in the future for PN. We'll see.

in late 2018 I did a couple of WE Californian Pinot Noir Kits.
Fast forward to the present - I'm still struggling with it in terms of taste and unfortunately absolutely no floral or tussock grass bouquets that generally permeates a good PN. However it may not be the problem of the kit. I may have stuffed it myself. As I dropped in an American oak spiral during bulk storage. I’ve stopped using them now - as have found them to be very harsh on the final outcome. So there are two things I need to do. First is to do another PN kit and avoid the spirals and secondly I need to shift those 2018 PN bottles to a dark corner and forget about them for a couple more years.

My favorite Pinot Noir is the WE kits from New Zealand, the Private Reserve one. It's exactly what I want a good Pinot Noir to be. I would never add skins or extra oak to it,

I have also done the one from California that @Venatorscribe is referring, perhaps the kit I have been the most unhappy with. WE has moved it from the Selection range to the Classic range.

My favorite Pinot Noir is the WE kits from New Zealand, the Private Reserve one. It's exactly what I want a good Pinot Noir to be. I would never add skins or extra oak to it,

I have also done the one from California that @Venatorscribe is referring, perhaps the kit I have been the most unhappy with. WE has moved it from the Selection range to the Classic range.
interesting. I live in NZ and can’t for the life of me get my hands on any PN juice or grapes locally. Ive found a general level of disinterest and dislike my a number of growers when I’ve made pleasant inquiries about getting my hands on either the berries or the juice. Looks like I need to approach the WE agent to get a NZ Pinot Noir kit. Thanks for your comments on the Californian PN. Maybe it’s not just me. Cheers

went with the RJS Cru International British Columbia Pinot Noir -- for my 1st. Swapped out provided EC1118 for RC212 (made starter), tossing provided oak chips in primary along with 1cup of rinsed Michigan Tart Cherries. :)

Cheers!

Y’all, I don’t understand. P/N is supposed to be light, fruit-forward and low alcohol. Why add skins to make it heavy? I’m not criticizing anyone that adds skins. It’s your wine and you should make it the way you want. I would just like to understand your thoughts.

Latest posts

Back