youngest drinking kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygirl

Reaction score
anyone have any input on a young drinking kit? i'm open for just about anything, as some family members r wondering why they can't drink anything yet, lol

Look to get a Wine Expert Island Mist Kit. Add sugar up front to increase alcohol to 10-12% and ready to drink in 5-6 weeks. We have done the Blackberry Cabernet, the Black Raspberry Merlot and also the Green Apple Reisling. Order of liking is listed above. All were good but the Cabernet was by far our favorite.

thanks doug! i've heard the island mist mentioned several times and also the orchard breezin' kits. anything sweet and fruity would be what my family would like, but i think if i could just get them SOMETHING at this point, i might get less negative comments, lol

rica:

beaujolais is often considered an early drinker, so you could get that can started.

Almost all of the standard kits can be drunk young. They won't be at their best though. When I ran a Ferment on Premises, two Merlots from Vineco (Ken Ridge Classic and California Connoisseur) were very well liked, and most customers were drinking very soon after bottling (usually about 5 weeks from start). Unfortunately Vineco kits are not easy to get in the USA (EC Kraus and Grapestompers).

Steve

thanks cp, i will check the vineco, i have a catalog, but maybe i just need to get another primary bucket (something to switch things around with), and do the beaujolais. once the blackberry is done and in the 5 gal. glass carboy, i could get the beaujolais going, but will still need something handy for racking...
tom and/or wade tried to tell me i needed more equipment...:se

Try making a batch of skeeter p. Not a kit, but the materials are easy to find and it makes up pretty fast. Gets better if you let it get a little older, but bet it will disappear in a hurry. Plenty of instructions here on how to make it. Arne

Try making a batch of skeeter p. Not a kit, but the materials are easy to find and it makes up pretty fast. Gets better if you let it get a little older, but bet it will disappear in a hurry. Plenty of instructions here on how to make it. Arne

thanks arne, i considered it. i scored a bucket on ebay last night, so i will do the beaujolais next...i will eventually try skeeter pee...just to see what it taste like, lol.
still not sure on the sake xanxer...i guess i just have a mental image of soy sauce or something...
we do have a couple of japanese grills in the town where i work...maybe i will try it next time there.
thanks guys

thanks doug! i've heard the island mist mentioned several times and also the orchard breezin' kits. anything sweet and fruity would be what my family would like, but i think if i could just get them SOMETHING at this point, i might get less negative comments, lol

I'd like to address this negative comments thing. They'll be green with envy when you give them a sample of your wines and they realize that you still have two cases of it for yourself.

I'd like to address this negative comments thing. They'll be green with envy when you give them a sample of your wines and they realize that you still have two cases of it for yourself.

thanks darren, i hope so...i feel like the chicken who did all the work herself and nobody wanted to help, lol...but i already have "wish lists" from some, lol
i think i'm gonna require a 5 empty bottle deposit for each filled bottle anyone gets, lol lol

If you want a quick try on the Skeeter p or any other wine, our local ace hardware has some nice 2 gal. buckets. Get one, they are only a couple of bucks or so, clean it up good. Cut back everything on the recipe so it is for a gal. Primary ferment in the 2 gal bucket. Go to your local big chain store and buy a Gal. tea jug. Mine has a spout on the bottom. Use it for the secondary, put some saran wrap between the lid and the jar, give it a pinhole or two to let the c.o2. out. As the wine clears, the lees will settle below the spout. Course the spout makes it easy to sample too. If you can wait til it gets pretty clear, set it in the refrigerator and drink away. Will probably taste better with some sugar added to each glass, each to their own on sweetness. Came up with the gal. tea jug thing cause I had some leftover I was going to use to top off the secondary when racking. Didn't need it so drank it up. Don't let the oxygen in the tea jug worry you too much, if it winds up there like here, certainly didn't last long enough to spoil. lol, take care, Arne.

If you want a quick try on the Skeeter p or any other wine, our local ace hardware has some nice 2 gal. buckets. Get one, they are only a couple of bucks or so, clean it up good. Cut back everything on the recipe so it is for a gal. Primary ferment in the 2 gal bucket. Go to your local big chain store and buy a Gal. tea jug. Mine has a spout on the bottom. Use it for the secondary, put some saran wrap between the lid and the jar, give it a pinhole or two to let the c.o2. out. As the wine clears, the lees will settle below the spout. Course the spout makes it easy to sample too. If you can wait til it gets pretty clear, set it in the refrigerator and drink away. Will probably taste better with some sugar added to each glass, each to their own on sweetness. Came up with the gal. tea jug thing cause I had some leftover I was going to use to top off the secondary when racking. Didn't need it so drank it up. Don't let the oxygen in the tea jug worry you too much, if it winds up there like here, certainly didn't last long enough to spoil. lol, take care, Arne.
thanks arne, great idea. the red kit i started in june is somewhat drinkable, but i'm trying to even better it. an idea like this will keep the naysayers at bay till i get something real in the bottle. the raspberry "experiment" may be just the ticket...thanks for the idea!

The skeeter pee was easy to make. Takes a while to clear though.

So did you try it? Keep us informed. Arne.

yes, i went with the skeeter pee!!
i've got another thread...my first skeeter pee (image)
it's got a pic of the intial fermentation, so it might download slow.
i used the slurry from my blackberry and i've had NO fermentation problems, lol. it's been absoloutely wild at time, lol.
it's gonna turn out to be a pink lemonade skeeter pee:D

Island mist modification

Look to get a Wine Expert Island Mist Kit. Add sugar up front to increase alcohol to 10-12% and ready to drink in 5-6 weeks. We have done the Blackberry Cabernet, the Black Raspberry Merlot and also the Green Apple Reisling. Order of liking is listed above. All were good but the Cabernet was by far our favorite.

I just bought one of the black raspberry kits for my wife ( she likes the sweet stuff). I'm intrigued by the idea of increasing the alcohol by adding sugar up front. I see that it's only 6.5%.

A few questions tho: 1)how does this affect the taste? 2)what do you take the sg to? 3)do you use invert sugar or just dump in the granular?

Thanks,
Brian

Back