Mosti Mondiale Young wine tastes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keahunter

Reaction score
Hello...I'm a first timer and just bottled my 'Mosti Mondiale Vinifera Barolo that I started on 8/17. Probably a week past when the instructions said I should. I tasted it and know that time will make it better but having never tasted young wine before, I'm not sure how much it will change. I do notice that it's kind of flat (which I'm assuming will improve) but has an unpleasant almost metallic taste. Could that be from being young or did I de-gass the heck out of it and introduced too much oxygen? I'm probably just paranoid but wanted to know if, in time, I could expect a much more drinkable wine than it is now.

Thats a low end kit so don't expect much from it. Although it says you can bottle it in 5-6 weeks it is not the best idea as the wine just really isn't ready by then and often you will transfer sediment over at bottling time. You should always bulk age for a few months at least to allow things to settle out a bit more and let the wine age a bit as well. Also if it is still in a carboy you can sample just a bit and see how the wine begins to age and mature. Hopefully you didn't top up with water but a cheap wine of sorts. An inexpensive merlot always works. Give it time, at least 3 months before you open a bottle. This should get better for up to a year and then it is going to be about as good as its going to get.

Hope this helps.

Thanks IB, I did top with an inexpensive wine, not water. I figured I had to give it time to age but unfortunately I did bottle already. I guess I was just concerned with what I perceive to be a metallic taste. I'm going to start my RJS Super Tuscan this weekend and that I will let sit in a carboy for a lot longer.

Latest posts

Back