WineXpert Young Pinot Grigio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

Reaction score
Ok, so out or curiosity my wife an I opened a bottle of Pinot Grigio that we bottled about 11 days ago.

It looks great, but that is about all...
smiley11.gif
It has a really strong taste and smell of sulfites.

Will this go away wit age or do I need to do something to fix it?

Open the next bottle in a couple months, you will be pleasantly surprised. My first kit was a VR Pinot Grigio. I bottled it in July. It was just as you described but after 2 months in the bottle it was like a whole new product. It was like a store bought product except for the minor amounts ofsediment and small amount of CO2
smiley7.gif
from not knowing what I was doing during bottling
smiley19.gif
It does taste great though.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

The smell goes away if you leave it in the refrigerator open for an hou or so,
or decant it

Ihate the fact that I will have to decant it everytime I want to drink it. It also makes it hard for me to share with my friends. I have a plan of action if it does not get any better, let me know it I am out of the box.
smiley2.gif
I am going to un-bottle
smiley19.gif
, transfer to a 5 gallon carboy, degass, condition, let it sit for a couple weeks, filter, and re-bottle. It is a lot of work, but it will give me somthing to do and should fix it, I think...

Does your wine still have a bit of gas left in it now? If so that will contribute to the sulfite aroma and taste and your plan to correct this looks good.

If you did not add any extra k-meta other than the packets in the kit you might want to add some (~1/4 tsp) since you will be aerating the wine quite a bit.

I would just try the fridge technique first. It worked on my Pinot Grigio when it was really young. I always add a little extra k-meta at bottling time, and I get that sulphite smell on my wines when they are too young. The fridge gets that smell out once they are chilled.

It also serves as a reminder to me to leave them alone until they age
smiley36.gif

I had a degassing problem the first time I tried to bottle and I degassed and added 1/4 tsp Na-meta then, let it clear, and I think I addedanother 1/4 tsp when I bottled. Looking back now with a little more knowledge than I had then, I probably have added way to much.

There does not appear to be a gas problem. If I shake a bottle that is corked I can see a small amount of white foam, but no more than I got from a commercial bottle of wine and it does not pop when I remove the cork.

So I don't really know it I need to degas, but I thought about trying again anyway...Edited by: Steve

Sounds like maybe you did add a double dose of sulfite. Stirring will help to
disperse some of the excess, and just giving it several months of aging will
bind more, meaning you'll have less free sulfite that you detect now. Sounds
like the wine is still too young to drink...

So as I said in a previous post I un-bottled, conditioned, degassed, let it sit in the carboy for a week, anddegassed again. I am surprised by the amount of foam, there are no signs of gas by taste or when I removed the corks. After this I did a did by side comparison of my pinot and a commercial bottle that we had and mine was much better...
smiley4.gif

This makes me want to do even more wine... I am no longer bummed out about this batch.Edited by: Steve

I have now discovered I luv Pinot Grisgio also. And its getting great reviews from the christmas gifts i gave out. I will have to make another batch. You can try SOAVE also it has melon hints. greate appetizer wine or appertief. what ever i think you get it happy wine making

Latest posts

Back