WineXpert Yikes! Can this wine be saved?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheerfulHeart

Still wineing
Reaction score
I started a WineXpert Coastal Red Kit about a week ago. Due to space constraints, I had to put it in my laundry room. The room is not insulated. When I started the kit, the temperature in the room was about 60 degrees Fahrenheit. A couple of days ago, the outside temp dropped to mid-40's. There are no bubbles in the airlock and I fear fermentation has ground to an abrupt halt even though the primary is wrapped in a couple of fleece blankets. How would I start fermentation again? Do I need to start fermentation again, or should I just rack it to secondary and just carry on? Can this wine be saved?

get it in a warm place at least 70 degrees, 75 would be better. stir a little and it very likely will start fermenting again. Keep it warm

combine the last two answers! move to a warmer place stir a bit and see if the ferment restarts, If it dies not them Take a SG reading. I doubt it went to dryness in a week at below 60 degrees, But it is possible, depending on the yeast used.

Thank you! I will try those suggestions. Nice to know the situation might not be dire as I thought. :h

combine the last two answers! move to a warmer place stir a bit and see if the ferment restarts, If it dies not them Take a SG reading. I doubt it went to dryness in a week at below 60 degrees, But it is possible, depending on the yeast used.

Yes follow this ^ Please let us know your outcome

:u Well, my Coastal Red ended up a drain pour :( I followed the good advice here and it got the fermentation going again nicely but I had to go out of town unexpectedly for almost a month and when I returned I just wasn't sure if it was still good at that point so I poured it. It's a disappointment but I will try another Coastal Red kit again soon. My thanks to you all for your help though! :h

First, let me say it sounds like you blame us for your neglect. Let me remind you that we receive no pay. We are simply here to help.

That being said, what was the issue? If it was sulphur issues we could have helped you. Too bad you dumped it. You should have more faith in US.

First, let me say it sounds like you blame us for your neglect. Let me remind you that we receive no pay. We are simply here to help.

That being said, what was the issue? If it was sulphur issues we could have helped you. Too bad you dumped it. You should have more faith in US.

John I do not think the OP was blaming anyone, I think they were just afraid that it sat on the lees too long and did not know what to do.

We know it was probably fine. May not have needed nothing but racking and K met. But I don't feel they were blaming us, They even thanked us for the help. Of course I could be wrong.

Phase 1: Ignore instructions regarding fermentation temperature.

Phase 2: Ask for advice on WMT regarding what can be done to correct this minor mistake.

Phase 3: Follow advice from seasoned winemakers on WMT. with success, then fail to ask for further advice regarding second mistake.

Phase 4: Dump out 6 gallons of wine that was most likely salvageable.

Phase 5: Start over and repeat entire process. :try

Makes perfect sense to me. At least it's just Coastal red, so you're not dumping a triple digit investment down the drain.

Last edited:
Apology

An Apology to All
I apologize for my reply sounding that way. It was not my intention. I am truly grateful for all the advice that was given so kindly to me. It was indeed my errors that caused the wine to go badly. I was attempting to give an update and I wrote it very poorly. I have offended everyone and I am sincerely sorry.

Last edited:
An Apology to All
I have offended everyone and I am sincerely sorry.

Didn't offend me. I read it the way that you intended it to be read.

I agree with others that you shouldn't have dumped the wine.

Better luck with your next attempt. And don't be afraid to ask questions here.

Steve

My Apology for making you apologize

An Apology to All
I apologize for my reply sounding that way. It was not my intention. I am truly grateful for all the advice that was given so kindly to me. It was indeed my errors that caused the wine to go badly. I was attempting to give an update and I wrote it very poorly. I have offended everyone and I am sincerely sorry.

After re-reading your post I have to say that I took it completely wrong. Sorry about that.

Latest posts

Back