Yikes 2 years on lees

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donut1106

Junior
Reaction score
Ok....so i made 2 batches of wine. One homegrown muscadine and cherries. The other homegrown bananas. I got sick and my son put them in a storage building for 2nd ferment with lees and airlocks....then totally forgot them. Last night i racked after 2years..lol. the grape/cherry tastes like a smooth brandy...the banana tastes like rocketfuel or moonshine. Any ideas on the banana? Ps i like sweet wines

rocket fuel suggest that the specific gravity was very high when you started fermentation. the brandy tasting cherry suggest the same thing.

Welcome to the forum!

My first concern would be whether or not they're safe to drink. Mind you I don't know that they're not, just that it would be a concern of mine.

I would suggest making another batch and blending it, if you can avoid fully fermenting it, which is quite difficult. Perhaps make another wine and fortify it with this one?

make sugar syrup, two cups sugar to one cup water. use a blender to dissolve sugar. do bench trials adding sugar syrup in measured amounts to specific sized samples. sugar will balance alcohol not necessarily sweeten wine.

Put a can of frozen Welch's Concord Concentrate in the muscadine/cherry after racking and stabilizing it. Well, you can thaw it first. It may be labelled Welch's Red Grape Concentrate, but it's mostly concord. Read the label and make sure it's made from 100% grape juice. Don't dilute it with water. You don't say how big a batch of wine it is, so the quantity of concentrate might need to be more or less.

Latest posts

Back