Yield from my vineyard, by must and fermented juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of people wonder how much wine they’ll get from x amount of grapes. So here’s my results from my Marquette grapes
i harvested 390 lbs of grapes. I crushed and destemmed them and got 36 gallons of must.
after fermentation I lightly pressed and racked into carboys, that yielded 24 gallons of wine. That will eventually equal 18 to 20 gallons of finished wine after racking off gross and fine Lee’s.
so for my Marquette it takes about 20 lbs of grapes to make a gallon of wine.

This is great information, thank you for adding it.

Here is my 2021 harvest data:
total Cab Sauv and Merlot cluster weight 409.7 lb.
total must volume 43.4 gal.
wine volume at pressing 33.5 gal.
total water additions = 2.3 gal
backing out water additions, wine volume = 31.2 gal

results in wine comprising 72% of the must volume at press.

13.1 lbs. of grape clusters per 1 gal. of undiluted wine at press.

or, 16.4 lbs of grape clusters per 1 gal. of undiluted finished wine. (assuming 80% finished wine volume after racking)

A lot of people wonder how much wine they’ll get from x amount of grapes. So here’s my results from my Marquette grapes
i harvested 390 lbs of grapes. I crushed and destemmed them and got 36 gallons of must.
after fermentation I lightly pressed and racked into carboys, that yielded 24 gallons of wine. That will eventually equal 18 to 20 gallons of finished wine after racking off gross and fine Lee’s.
so for my Marquette it takes about 20 lbs of grapes to make a gallon of wine.

I'm thinking of starting a small home vineyard this spring, starting with Marquette, with the goal of producing 20 gallons of grape wine per year. I was wondering how Marquette vines to produce your 390 lbs of grapes?

I have 60 plants on very sandy soil in Waupaca. If I could do it over I would have planted 1/3 marechal Foch, 1/3 Verona, 1/3 Marquette and blend them. I think Verona has more tannin and the Foch adds more body. A local winery makes a really good Foch Marquette blend.

I have 60 plants on very sandy soil in Waupaca. If I could do it over I would have planted 1/3 marechal Foch, 1/3 Verona, 1/3 Marquette and blend them. I think Verona has more tannin and the Foch adds more body. A local winery makes a really good Foch Marquette blend.
Thanks. I have already ordered a dozen Marquette (may have to up that a little) but I’m having trouble finding other varieties. Can you recommend a nursery?

I'm thinking of starting a small home vineyard this spring, starting with Marquette, with the goal of producing 20 gallons of grape wine per year. I was wondering how Marquette vines to produce your 390 lbs of grapes?
My marquette average was 15 lbs per vine, on sandy, rocky soil in Southern Wisconsin.

Latest posts

Back