Yet another 'What's growing in my wine?' post

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't EM the Pinot. I'm EMing my super Tuscan. So far so good. I plan on pressing this weekend. Good luck on fixing this.

I didn't EM the Pinot. I'm EMing my super Tuscan. So far so good. I plan on pressing this weekend. Good luck on fixing this.

Oh nice. That's definitely blend that could really benefit from EM.
I know it sounds like mine has been problematic. But the issues have not been too major and I'm very happy with the potential it shows. In spite of the ferment not 100% and now this oily surface (which I'm confident will be fixed) I'm looking forward to it.
It's a tad lighter bodied than I would have hoped, but with a few tweaks to different things I'm hopeful this will become a wine I'm proud of.

Situation is looking promising. I repeated those exact steps the next day.
At 3.6 now, the acid added (2g/L total) really gives the wine some much needed 'zing'. Ill keep an eye on it, but feeling good about creating a better environment to fight this off. Not to mention better pH protection and a more balanced wine for aging too.
A day after the 2nd acid addition there was a large amount speckles on both surfaces. I made sure the tartaric was 100% dissolved before adding, But I'm thinking it just formed crystals that floated (assuming that's an actual thing). I removed em anyway But there were no oily spots at all. Topped up. Another spritz.
2 days later no oily or ropey spots. But those crystals are back. This time I left em alone. When I removed one it was hard and flat. and could crunch into even smaller pieces.

Has anyone ever noticed surface crystals from tartaric additions before? Because I haven't.
Pics in order
day after 2nd acid addition.
returned 2 days after I removed them.
a closeup.

IMG_8011.jpg
IMG_8070.jpgIMG_8037.jpg

I've seen the crystals floating before, nothing to worry about. At 3.6 you should get maximum potassium bitartrate drop out, but the pH should hold.

I've seen the crystals floating before, nothing to worry about. At 3.6 you should get maximum potassium bitartrate drop out, but the pH should hold.

Thanks Stickman. Lots of good K bitartrate info online. But no mentions of diamonds on surface, just dropping out. I assume they will eventually fall out.
Either way no more oily/ropey surface skin and looks like it might stay that way.

I'm happy to say the oil ropes have not returned. But my ph kept dropping and I can taste it. Maybe a hair heavy handed on the tartaric. At 3.5 and 7.5 and don't wanna keep messing with it.
Over the next couple months I hope it mellows out. And I've got a quick acid question. Without adding anything wouldn't more acid crystals drop out if temps were lowered? And does that in turn lower the acid?
Was thinking of waiting for the right weather and letting the wine sit on the porch for a bit to naturally drop out some acid without adding antacids. But is this idea even realistic ?

I'm happy to say the oil ropes have not returned. But my ph kept dropping and I can taste it. Maybe a hair heavy handed on the tartaric. At 3.5 and 7.5 and don't wanna keep messing with it.
Over the next couple months I hope it mellows out. And I've got a quick acid question. Without adding anything wouldn't more acid crystals drop out if temps were lowered? And does that in turn lower the acid?
Was thinking of waiting for the right weather and letting the wine sit on the porch for a bit to naturally drop out some acid without adding antacids. But is this idea even realistic ?

Glad to hear you have the funky stuff outa there, I still think it was nothing, but better safe than sorry.

As for the pH / TA questions, this is why we typically go slow with acid additions. You don’t normally have that luxury with must, but with finished wine that won’t be bottled for a while, no need to rush.

As for precipitation, it occurs at different rates and temps with different wines, and isn’t terribly predictable. It’s generally true that CS of a wine with pH below 3.65 will result in a lowering of the pH, above 3.65 and it rises.

Acidity, or at least the perception of it, mellows over time. If you’re done messing with it, time may be the best ingredient......

Maybe nothing, but The recurring hardened skin formed from the very oily surface was not something I was comfortable with.
Trouble batches silver lining are the invaluable knowledge I get from them. On paper successive additions of 1g/L doesn't seem like much. But weighing out 72g (72L total wine) on back to back days did. And I can't lie, that second day I went against my better judgement to wait longer.
All is well though. Like I said it's only slightly more acidic than I wanted. And I'm thinking in 3 months the wine will tell me exactly what it needs.
I asked about CS concerned with the TA/taste. I feel I've got wiggle room with the pH. But no more games. I'm comfortable with it enough to put her down for months and let the wine do what it does. By then she should know what she needs.
As always, Thank you for your input.

Latest posts

Back