WineXpert Yet another stirring topic

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenore

Reaction score
Okay, so I have read all of the topics on stirring and decided to try it Tim's way with the 3 stir method. Stir, add additives, stir, add Chitosan and stir again- finished. However, my wine did not wind up still. So seriously, will it just become still? Has anyone followed Tim's directions and came out with a perfectly still wine? I could tell it still had co2 when I used the vacu-vin on it and it still bubbled. I have alot of trouble in this area- getting my wine totally bubble free. Help me out here, what is the problem?

Couple of quick questions:

What temperature is the wine?

Are you using a drill mounted stirrer?

What wine is it and what was your finial SG?

To expound on Masta's post, if it is cooler more CO2 will remain in
suspension, it is always easier to remove CO2 in a warm wine! A drill
mounted stirrer takes a lot of the work out of it. I still use a long
plastic spoon and although it is more work I have always had still
wines. If you sill have a little sugar left in the wine it may still be
fermenting a little and producing more CO2. When taking a reading
with your hydrometer did you take into effect the ambiant temp. It will
throw off your reading. Hydrometers are set for 59 degrees F so ......

The bottom line is let it set in a warm (74) place for a few days,
check the sg, and stir the daylights out of it in 15 minute increments

Pete

I am using a Mix-stir and it is kept at room temperature 76-78 degrees. I have made 12 kits and have 13-15 brewing now. I have only had three wines that I consider totally "still" and that was after stirring the snot out of it far more than Tim's recommendations and then following it up with a vacu-vin to each bottle when I bottled.

Well with a mix-stir and at that temp you should have no problem degassing.
smiley5.gif
This is puzzling but two areas to look at would be the fermentation not being totally complete when stabilizing and degassing and the technique when using the mix-stir.

What is your normal time line from kit make-up to stabilizing/fining?

I usually finish right on time. All of my readings come out according to kit instructions. When I stir all is calm in the carboy, no bubbles in the airlock, no activity in the wine. The white burgundy is definately still bubbly after following Tim's directions yesterday. When you stir do you stir continuosly or in bursts that last for 2 minutes?

I follow Tim's recommendation, but sometimes there is still more foam than I like, so I stir some more. One important consideration is to always let the foam die down before stirring again; otherwise, I would be concerned that you are stirring the CO2 back into the wine.

Back