Yet Another Skeeter Pee Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowawine

Reaction score
Okay, so I've got the skeeter pee in the primary bubbling away, followed directions, it started out very slow as expected then I threw on the brew belt and it took off once the temp got up to about 80. After the SG dropped to 1.05 I added the last bottle of juice, yeast nutrient and energizer. It's been in primary for 5 days now, the SG is about 1.03, is it time to rack to carboy?

Also, what SG should this finish at? Just getting excited as we've had some quite hot weather already in the midwest..

I left mine in the Primary untill Dry then Racked, Stablized and Added the Sparkloid. It has been 4 days and IS Crystal Clear.

Thanks to whoever moved my post into the correct place. I hadn't ever opened the Special Interest Wines section. Now I have much more reading to do to catch up..

I would at least wait a little longer as at that point it can be still a little violent and once in carboy can be too much and blow past your airlock into a wine volcano. That would be me and that forum was just created the other day after so many of these Pee wines and similar projects and a few people who asked for it.

I'll wait on the racking for a while because if I get pee on the floor my wife will blame me and I'll blame my son... She will win of course, but not because she always does, rather because my son is still in diapers. :slp

Okay, so I've got the skeeter pee in the primary bubbling away, followed directions, it started out very slow as expected then I threw on the brew belt and it took off once the temp got up to about 80. After the SG dropped to 1.05 I added the last bottle of juice, yeast nutrient and energizer. It's been in primary for 5 days now, the SG is about 1.03, is it time to rack to carboy?

Also, what SG should this finish at? Just getting excited as we've had some quite hot weather already in the midwest..

I usually rack when it is 1.010, you really don't want to rack before this you should still be stirring to make sure it keeps fermenting.

Yes, ferment this down to 1.010 or so and then rack. Then let it finish out dry to below 1.00. I degassed at this point and then cleared before back sweetening with Vermont Maple syrup. Can anybody say "YUM"?

It's been drinkable since bottling but I've noticed it's still mellowing in the bottle after about a month or so.

Vermont maple syrup, Holy Crap, Darren, diabetics should be able to drink this, if I am not mistaken, syrup does not effect your insulin. I have a couple of friends who are diabetic. I think I might have to try this.

:slp

not "another' Skeeter pee thread!

ok it's raining like monsoon season here today, however..

I have about two buckets of lemons.. very last of season, old, yellow, barely clinging to the trees, in the garden.

sighs...

when there is a break in the rain later.. I'll go pick them.

I'm not all that fussed on lemon wine.. however the recipe is a bit different and all my primaries ( and secondaries) are empty..

I'm blaming this site in particular, for the sudden need to make skeeter pee..

right.. back to work you lot!

Allie

:slp

not "another' Skeeter pee thread!

ok it's raining like monsoon season here today, however..

I have about two buckets of lemons.. very last of season, old, yellow, barely clinging to the trees, in the garden.

sighs...

when there is a break in the rain later.. I'll go pick them.

I'm not all that fussed on lemon wine.. however the recipe is a bit different and all my primaries ( and secondaries) are empty..

I'm blaming this site in particular, for the sudden need to make skeeter pee..

right.. back to work you lot!

Allie

What!!!! Do you think there could be too many!!!! Empty primaries and secondaries, you have spent way too much time on that bike, you need to start fermenting something.

Vermont maple syrup, Holy Crap, Darren, diabetics should be able to drink this, if I am not mistaken, syrup does not effect your insulin. I have a couple of friends who are diabetic. I think I might have to try this.

I hope you were not serious about syrup not effecting a diabetics blood sugars. In case you were,
Anything that a diabetic eats that has carbohydrates in it will effect thier blood sugar, therfore requiring insulin in order to bring it back down to normal levels. In a type 2 diabetic it is a little different but if your friends take shots or use a pump then they will require insulin if they were to have the syrup.
My 6 year old daughter is a diabetic and has been since the age of 2. What I can't explain is how alcohol effects the blood sugar, since she is only 6 (almost 7) she hasn't tried out any of mine wines yet, well at least not after they have been fermented. Before pitching the yeast is a different story, she is a horrible strawberry thief.

OP,,
sorry for the long hijack, I hope your pee comes out better than mine. I think mine soured or something but its still going so I will see when all is said and done.

FYI

maple sugar is 60% sweetness of sugar.

yes.. it does affect insulin levels.. however it can be used sparingly by those that suffer from diabetes.

perhaps stevia could be used instead?

Stevia
Stevia can be found in leaf, liquid, and powder form. Stevia is 200 to 300 times sweeter than sugar. Stevia is low in calories and may help lower blood sugar levels, thereby making it safe for diabetics. The liquid and powdered form of stevia are easily dissolvable, so both are good for sweetening hot or cold beverages. The Stevia leaf has been found to contain iron, phosphorus, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and zinc.

Read more at Suite101: Nutrients in Natural Sweeteners: Agave, Maple Syrup, Honey and Stevia Contain Vitamins and Minerals http://food-facts.suite101.com/article.cfm/nutrients_in_natural_sweeteners#ixzz0pYQWZWWS

sources

WHFoods.com

Allie

I'll wait on the racking for a while because if I get pee on the floor my wife will blame me and I'll blame my son... She will win of course, but not because she always does, rather because my son is still in diapers. :slp

I hope your son doesn't figure this out: he might just squirt a shot around the diaper just to sit back and watch his dad fumble about trying to not get chewed out for Pee on the floor.:h

I hope you were not serious about syrup not effecting a diabetics blood sugars.

pw thanks for the response, we had a health forum at work and they said that diabetics could use maple syrup in replacement of sugar. I am not a diabetic and I really do not know that much about it.

FYI

maple sugar is 60% sweetness of sugar.

yes.. it does affect insulin levels.. however it can be used sparingly by those that suffer from diabetes.

perhaps stevia could be used instead?

Stevia
Stevia can be found in leaf, liquid, and powder form. Stevia is 200 to 300 times sweeter than sugar. Stevia is low in calories and may help lower blood sugar levels, thereby making it safe for diabetics. The liquid and powdered form of stevia are easily dissolvable, so both are good for sweetening hot or cold beverages. The Stevia leaf has been found to contain iron, phosphorus, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and zinc.

Read more at Suite101: Nutrients in Natural Sweeteners: Agave, Maple Syrup, Honey and Stevia Contain Vitamins and Minerals http://food-facts.suite101.com/article.cfm/nutrients_in_natural_sweeteners#ixzz0pYQWZWWS

sources

WHFoods.com

Allie

I use stevia all the time and I am growing the stevia plant but it is not big enough yet to use it as a sweetener

OP,,
sorry for the long hijack, I hope your pee comes out better than mine. I think mine soured or something but its still going so I will see when all is said and done.

Number 1: I'm not sure a statement like "I hope your pee comes out better than mine" belongs on a wine forum; sounds more like it should be on a medical forum.
peepaul.gif

Number 2: "I think mine soured or something", it was lemon.... right? It should be sour. Have you added the sugar to sweeten the finished product yet? Before sugar, it tastes something like a packet of Kool-aid in water. The sugar will tame some of that tart sourness.

If you think you still have an odd taste/smell, the one I've encountered is SO2 problems. This occurs when your yeast is stressed with either too high of ferment temperature or not enough nutrient. The resultant effect on Skeeter Pee is best described as the smell of a cheap home hair perm solution.

Last edited:
pw thanks for the response, we had a health forum at work and they said that diabetics could use maple syrup in replacement of sugar. I am not a diabetic and I really do not know that much about it.

I use stevia all the time and I am growing the stevia plant but it is not big enough yet to use it as a sweetener

I was actually thinking as a back sweetener for wine Julie..

...and if PW's daughter is diabetic..wine is lower in carbs ( and calories) than beer. If the wine is fermented to completely dry.. then backsweetened with stevia..

( not using PW's daughter as a guinea pig of course.. pardon me PW!)

Theoretically...perhaps it could be tried on a diabetic person .. in a very small controlled dose with home blood tests? Just to see the effect?

DISCLAIMER.. Don't try this at home!

Allie

I was actually thinking as a back sweetener for wine Julie..

...and if PW's daughter is diabetic..wine is lower in carbs ( and calories) than beer. If the wine is fermented to completely dry.. then backsweetened with stevia..

( not using PW's daughter as a guinea pig of course.. pardon me PW!)

Theoretically...perhaps it could be tried on a diabetic person .. in a very small controlled dose with home blood tests? Just to see the effect?

DISCLAIMER.. Don't try this at home!

Allie

That it what I am thinking but I can only buy Stevia in single serving packets and it is quite expensive. So I bought the seeds and started the plant, it is grown nicely but a long way before I can use it as a sweetener.

I hope your son doesn't figure this out: he might just squirt a shot around the diaper just to sit back and watch his dad fumble about trying to not get chewed out for Pee on the floor.:h

I wouldn't put it past him, he's a tricky little 1 year old.

Latest posts

Back