Mosti Mondiale Yet another newbie question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A62Rambler

Reaction score
I'm making the all juice Reisling. It's my one white. It finishes as a 0 on the scale but reisling is traditionally an off dry wine. Should I backsweeten this wine when I finish it? If so any guess as to how much with what? I want it to be a good Reisling for those times when I want to have a white wine.

Backsweetening is a matter of personal preference Eric. What tastes good to me may be unacceptable to you. If you do decide to backsweeten don't get carried away. Just a little at a time until you get it like you want it. You can use a wine conditioner or sugar water to sweeten with.

The way alot of people do it is to make a 2 part sugar, 1 part water
syrup by boiling water and adding twice that amount of sugar to it so
that it will dissolve well. Then you will add it into your carboy
little by little and tasting very frequently as not to over sweeten
because once you have over sweetened you will hav to add a dry
commercial wine to dry it back up. If you plan on making another of
these kits in the future make a note of the SG when you get it to where
you like and how much you have aded so you know what to do next time.
Good luck.

The wine kit rieslings are almost all dry. They make a nice fruity wine that you can back sweeten, if you choose. The ones I have made were very nice without the additional sugar.

Thanks for the replies. I guess when it gets to that point, I'll see how it tastes. I may prefer it dry. I'm trying to ask my questions before I need the answers.
smiley5.gif
Instead of too late.

A62,
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Why not try a bit in a glass then with above mentioned sugar syrup add very little and I mean very little to see if back sweetening will be what you are looking for. Its better to mess up a glass than 5 or 6 gal. This is how I do it .
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">If youfind that you like it then I would back sweeten just enough to get a good hydrometer reading record it and then I would work with the carboy.
<DIV SuperAdBlocker_DIV_Elements="0" SuperAdBlocker_OnMove_Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker__Hooked="0" SuperAdBlocker_DIV_FirstLook="0">Bill

Bill and Wade,

I have saved your posts to a file on my computer so that I can reference that when the time comes.

Never realised how old they were, so why are they still up.

The threads and posts here never disappear, they are a learning tool for anyone who cares to search for, and read about any topic they like. It sometimes keeps folks from asking questions that have been asked, debated, and answered over and over, but not always.

You are certainly welcome to read and comment on anything you would like, but in a lot of cases, this stuff is just so old, that some of the posters aren't even here any more.

A convenient way to use the Forum, at least for me, is to mark all of the forums as read, thereafter, when you visit the site, you can click on "Recent Posts" from the main bar, and see everything that is new since your last visit. Once you review the recent posts, the forum automatically marks them as read, and you can keep up with current threads and posts that way, with people who are actively involved with the Forum and winemaking. Just my two cents...............

The threads and posts here never disappear, they are a learning tool for anyone who cares to search for, and read about any topic they like. It sometimes keeps folks from asking questions that have been asked, debated, and answered over and over, but not always.

You are certainly welcome to read and comment on anything you would like, but in a lot of cases, this stuff is just so old, that some of the posters aren't even here any more.

A convenient way to use the Forum, at least for me, is to mark all of the forums as read, thereafter, when you visit the site, you can click on "Recent Posts" from the main bar, and see everything that is new since your last visit. Once you review the recent posts, the forum automatically marks them as read, and you can keep up with current threads and posts that way, with people who are actively involved with the Forum and winemaking. Just my two cents...............

I understand perfectly my fault for not looking at the dates.

No problem!! You seem to be having trouble using the Reply button, it's taking you two posts to reply. Once you click on the button to respond to someone else's post, their post shows up in brackets with the words QUOTE at the beginning and end of their statement. Start typing on the next line below that, and then hit "Post Reply", you can accomplish your response in one posting instead of two............

No problem!! You seem to be having trouble using the Reply button, it's taking you two posts to reply. Once you click on the button to respond to someone else's post, their post shows up in brackets with the words QUOTE at the beginning and end of their statement. Start typing on the next line below that, and then hit "Post Reply", you can accomplish your response in one posting instead of two............
There is a saying in england ,or it was, years ago alcoholic drinks were called. neck oil.

Back