Yellowish colored ring at top of carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvthepinot

Junior
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’ve done some searching around here and seems that people have experienced this phenomenon as well but can’t seem to find a clear answer . I have three carboys all different varietals and all have this same ring . Wine was pressed in late August , MLF sept/oct and racked about a month ago . The wine smells and tastes fine . I’ve attached a photo. I appreciate any insight and/or advice ;)
Thanks !
IMG_1513553776.441321.jpg

I’m guessing just some particulates that have floated to the top. If it starts to grow, I’m wrong. Then spritz it with meta and see if it stops.

I’m guessing just some particulates that have floated to the top. If it starts to grow, I’m wrong. Then spritz it with meta and see if it stops.

That’s actually become pretty standard for me now after some surface issues this year. Another member advised me to give A healthy spritz of k-meta/citric sanitizer solution directly into the carboy.
I’ll spritz if it appears ‘dirty’ or spotty in any way now. So far it seems to keep things under control. And a good barometer of knowing if extra measures are needed or not.

Take a flashlight and shine it through your carboy. If you see any bubbles rising within a minute or less, then that is probably the cause either directly or indirectly lifting up sediment or suspended material.

If it is a fungus or bacteria it will probably not limit itself to the edge, and start to cover the entire top surface. Rapidly. Keep an eye on it.

Back