Yellow Ring

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terroirdejeroir

Reaction score
My WE Eclipse Lodi Ranch 11 was due for racking and sulfiting today, but when I got ready to start racking I noticed a light yellow ring around the top of the carboy neck.

I went ahead and carefully racked it while adding sulfite and it appears normal for now, but I would appreciate any feedback regarding what the yellow ring was and whether it indicates a larger issue.

Yellow Ring.jpg

When I made my first WS Super Tuscan I noticed the same yellow ring and was concerned but it did not affect the wine. All of the Winery Series kits I have made since have had this same ring and again with no negative effects. No other kits I have made have had it.
Perhaps it is some yeast residue or something to do with the amount of suspended solids in these premium kits.
Maybe our chemist members can shed some light on it?
Have other members noticed this with the premium kits?

I have the same thing in my WE Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot. I racked it and it came back.
When I take a sample with my thief it tastes of rubber.
After racking the wine it does not taste like rubber.
I was attributing this taste to my Bungs that I am using.

I too have this ring with my ultra premium kits. I dont use rubber bungs but waterless silicone ones so it is not from the bung. Doesn't seem to affect the wine.

cheers

I want to bump this old thread ‘cause I’m having the same yellow rings appear in all 3 of my carboys . I’ve been aspirating it out but it just comes right back . Spritz with k meta and it just comes right back . I’m frustrated and hoping somebody can shed more light on this phenomena .

Latest posts

Back