yellow ring at the top

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramsis23

Reaction score
Looking for any input. I've been bulk aging for approximately 3 months a kit red. Sometime in the past 5 days it developed a yellow ring in the top inch of wine in the carboy neck. Obviously I'm worried that the wine will be ruined. After seeing it, I racked the wine into a clean carboy, topped it off and added sorbate/kmeta. Any words of advice?

You didn't happen to get a picture of it, did you? What kit is this?

Overall the taste and smell was better than before I started aging. It was a winexpert Cabernet.

image.jpg

Did you ferment it dry and follow all the kit directions?

I'm not sure what that is, but I think you did the right thing by racking and adding KMeta. Has the yellow stuff come back?

All of the RJS Winery Series red kits I have made have developed a yellow ring in the neck and it has not been a problem. I don't know what it is but I now look on it as a sign of excellence!

If in doubt, contact WineXpert directly and ask them. Offer to send that photo to them.

It's been about 5 days since racking and kmeta. I think I see a bit of yellow at the interface between the wine and the glass of the carboy. Maybe it needs a substrate to develop on. It is definitely better than before. I followed all the kit directions except I added additional tannins and french oak cubes. The oak cubes were sanitized in a steam chamber for 40 minutes before adding to the carboy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back