Yellow-Brown Chunks/Pieces?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimOfWine

Junior
Reaction score
Hey all, I've been making red wine for around 4 years now (80 gallon batches) and am hoping you can help me out. The last batch, a Barbera, has been in cool storage in bottles for 9 months or so. Sulfite was around 40-50ppm.

I've been pulling bottles every so often without issue. But just noticed with the lastest couple, that there is some yellow-brown chunks (thin, kinda like a yeast) floating around after I moved it from storage. After a panic I poured one out into a jar, through a filter, to see if I could catch the pieces. However when pouring, the pieces dissolved before hitting the filter and the wine looks fine. I should also mention tastes fine too.

My question is, does anyone know what that stuff may be? Did I screw up the fining, and/or not rack enough,something else?

Hopefully you can see this pic of the bottle with a flashlight shining below.IMG_20190429_203123083.jpg

How long was it stored, before it was bottled? My bet is that it was bottled before a year and the wine wasn’t done with all its changes that it can go through.

How long wast stored, before it was bottled?

Started fermentation for 2017 season in November. So probably bottled around May 2018 (did it earlier thank prior years). I believe there were 4-5 rackings between.

Just a guess but could it be tartrates?
I don't think so, they don't look like crystals close up. I'm now just wondering if it's not some leftover from not racking enough near the end. This was the first time I tried bentonite and maybe rushed the job.

Was it from grapes? I know if I bottled my wine from grapes in 6 months after harvest that I would have fallout in the bottle in my reds.

Latest posts

Back