"Yeasty" wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cwkirsty

our vintners reserve Pinot Noir is done, but smells yeasty? what did we do wrong? used the supplied packet....should we have used fresher??

Hi CWKirsty, I don't have experience with wine kits but let me ask a few questions that may help others answer your question. When you said the wine is done, at what stage it is done and when. Is it finished with the primary fermentration? Secondary fermentation? or are you at the bottling stage? If you are ready to bottle, when was the fermentation completed. One last question, is this your first kit wine? The reason I ask is that although I have not made wine from kits, I have read many posts in various forums. They all seem to have a commonality and that is they require a year of aging. Some have said that the wine is dramatically better at 12 months then say 6 months.

Has the wine been bottled? If so you may be smelling some trapped CO2 in the wine. If it is still in the carboy and on the lees you may just be smelling that. I would bet it is CO2 you are smelling though. I have found as well that the VR kits, particularly the reds don't have that great of an aroma in the beginning as well. I think it has something to do with the concentration.

Latest posts

Back