Yeasting problems.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arza

Junior
Reaction score
I just started my first batch ever. apple pomegranate mixture i created. It has plenty of sugar in it. my hydrometer is showing a reading around 15%.... well about 3 days ago i put my yeast in to start fermentation. it seems that there is no reaction. any ideas of why this may be? or are my expectations premature? any tips and help would be much appreciated

p.s. it should also be known that i regulated the sugar levels in the apple cider and pomegranate juice with honey. not sure if that could be a factor in a non-reaction.

Last edited:
arza...

current hydrometer & temperature readings? Perhaps also more about the recipe...eg yeast nutrient, which yeast, etc

Steve

1.050 hydometer reading
64 degrees
ec-1118 yeast
youngs u brew yeast nutrient, i used 3tsp in my 3 gallon of juice

Last edited:
Ive been reading around alot on different ways to start the yeast. for me i just sprinkled it in. then followed it with the nutrient/water solution.

should i have started the yeast in a separate container with sugar water?

idk, i havent seen where that could be my problem. nonetheless, if it is, should i have to start over and pitch the batch?

You would have been better to rehydrate your yeast 1st. Warm it up it may take off.

1.050 isn't 15% ABV

Yeah, 1.05 seems a bit low to me, and 1118 can handle some heady fermentation. I'd suggest adding sugar or simple syrup to get that SG up to around 1.1. Personally I'd go higher, but I like rocket fuel wines. ;)

As for yeast, I sprinkle mine about half the time, but I usually defer to directions on the packets, and 1118 I believe says to dissolve in 98-104 degree water for 15 minutes, stir, then pour.

But I think Steve had the best suggestion, try warming it up and seeing what happens. You could grab another packet of yeast and pitch it properly, it won't hurt (no such thing as too much yeast).

arza...

If the hydrometer showed 15% originally, that's about 1.113. Does that sound right? The sg is now 1.050. If the numbers are right, then this wine is fermenting just fine.

However, I suspect that 64F is a bit cool for the wine to ferment this quickly in 3 days.

Personally I would warm it up (I prefer to ferment about 74F), and wait a couple more days and check the sg again. If it is lower, then the wine is fermenting.

Steve

I use 1118 all the time without problem and just sprinkle on top of must. Raise temp to 70 - 75 thats where I keep mine during primary.

so for future reference, should i stir in the yeast when starting my primary, or should i just let it sit on top?

so for future reference, should i stir in the yeast when starting my primary, or should i just let it sit on top?

I rehydrate mine per the instructions on the package. Some people make a starter.

but after i make my starter though, say in a bowl, and ive got a nice colony going................ should i stir it in to my juice before adding the arilock or just dump it in and close er on up?

I agree with djrockinsteve on this one do not throw this wine out but get it warmed up to around 70-75 degrees it will work best at this temp. if it does not start fermemting then make a new starter yeast and pitch that into it.

Back