yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboytex

Reaction score
I know this is an elementary question but I have not did this before...I'm making a starter i.a.w. instructions from Jack's web-site. My question is, what does the yeast look like in the jar if it is working, I was expecting a crust to form at the top after a few minutes but all the yeast went to the botton with very little(maybe 10 small bubbles ) activity at the top of the cup of water. I threw it out and I'm started over.......what am I looking for??????????????
thanks
cowboytex
sorry I posted in the wrong place,first!!

Add your yeast to approx. 2 ounces of warm water, no warmer than 100 degrees. Slush it around quickly so as to dampen all the yeast. Then let it sit for 15 minutes. Leave it alone. It will begin to foam as the yeasts wake up. I add this directly to my juice while others will slowly add some juice and sugar to theirs to start a full going starter. I have never had a problem with my way.

You would see usually foaming up but it really depends on what yeast you use. Some yeasts like Cotes Des Blanc dont really do much but sit there and sizzle while others can foam up 4".

Add your yeast to approx. 2 ounces of warm water, no warmer than 100 degrees. Slush it around quickly so as to dampen all the yeast. Then let it sit for 15 minutes. Leave it alone. It will begin to foam as the yeasts wake up. I add this directly to my juice while others will slowly add some juice and sugar to theirs to start a full going starter. I have never had a problem with my way.

djrockinsteve, thanks!
cowboytex

You would see usually foaming up but it really depends on what yeast you use. Some yeasts like Cotes Des Blanc dont really do much but sit there and sizzle while others can foam up 4".

ok thanks Wade
cowboytex

What are you making?

Tom, I have a mixture of 4lbs of blackberries and a couple of lbs. of blueberries. The recipe told me to put in the secondary at 1.030 but after only 5 days I checked it and it was .0996, I poured it into the secondary today. I'm suppose to rack it again in three weeks and again in two months.
cowboytex

I always make my starter in a plastic bottle.

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2007/08/gist-starter-yeast-starter.html

Not all yeasts make a lot of foam, so that is no sign.

There are several tests that show if a starter is really working.

First if the starter was made from clear juice it should be foggy from the activities.
Next you can hear the bottle sizzling.

And last but not least.

Put your thumb on top of the bottle to close it and shake the bottle a few times.
Then carefully and slowly remove your thumb you shall feel the gas escaping, when you have a good working starter.

Luc

Tom, I have a mixture of 4lbs of blackberries and a couple of lbs. of blueberries. The recipe told me to put in the secondary at 1.030 but after only 5 days I checked it and it was .0996, I poured it into the secondary today. I'm suppose to rack it again in three weeks and again in two months.
cowboytex
When you racked did you leave the pulp behind?

I always make my starter in a plastic bottle.

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2007/08/gist-starter-yeast-starter.html

Not all yeasts make a lot of foam, so that is no sign.

There are several tests that show if a starter is really working.

First if the starter was made from clear juice it should be foggy from the activities.
Next you can hear the bottle sizzling.

And last but not least.

Put your thumb on top of the bottle to close it and shake the bottle a few times.
Then carefully and slowly remove your thumb you shall feel the gas escaping, when you have a good working starter.

Luc

Luc, the first yeast I put in about a cup of warm water and it went to the bottom but the second package I saw a film across the top after 10 to 15 minutes. I added some of the slurry to it and it went to work quickly. Thanks for the tips, I will try them next time, I may have wasted 1 package but now I know how to check, thanks again.
cowboytex

Latest posts

Back