Yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm new to wine making and I know in brewing yeast plays an important part. What kind of yeast should I be looking at for a simple Cabernet or Merlot or Chianti? I've read descriptions but it's always nice to hear from other folks and their "go to" yeast.

Thanks
WV

I'm new to wine making and I know in brewing yeast plays an important part. What kind of yeast should I be looking at for a simple Cabernet or Merlot or Chianti? I've read descriptions but it's always nice to hear from other folks and their "go to" yeast.

Thanks
WV

My two favorites are BM 4x4 and D254 for big red wines.

Can I bulk age a wine kit for 2 months that says it's ready in four weeks? Can I leave the wine in the carboy longer than the instructions indicate.

WV

Can I bulk age a wine kit for 2 months that says it's ready in four weeks? Can I leave the wine in the carboy longer than the instructions indicate.

WV
Yeah, matter of fact you will get a better wine, keep aging for up to a year it will only improve. Also for Chianti Use BM4x4 its made for it. For cabernet, use RC212

Yeah, matter of fact you will get a better wine, keep aging for up to a year it will only improve. Also for Chianti Use BM4x4 its made for it. For cabernet, use RC212

Thanks CK. Very helpful. What temperatures do these yeasts like? Also, what is their shelf life?

Last edited:
Thanks CK. Very helpful. What temperatures do these yeasts like? Also, what is their shelf life?
Typically fairly warm. I usually fement around 68-74f shelf life of a packet assuming fresh is 3 years at least all my yeasts have listed that .I used a 6 year old pack once that worked so providing you don't cook it. The yeast will pretty much work.

So this advice is based on your reading experience, right?? Since you made your third kit a few months ago, botched it, and had it bottled in less time than any other newbie I’ve ever seen. You certainly haven’t experienced aging a kit for a year.

I see you’ve also bestowed the title of “Senior Member” upon yourself, impressive.

WV

Yes. YES 100x over! Forget their bottling timelines. All that “4- week timeline” is doing is encouraging bad practices and impatience.
You can follow the instructions up to the bottling step (with certain tweaks) and then top it up and put it to bed for a while, racking every few months. This will help keep sediment out of the bottle, and also prevent you from drinking it all too early.

I see you’ve also bestowed the title of “Senior Member” upon yourself, impressive.

Johnd , “Senior Member” only indicates one has donated to help support this site. If you donate you too can be a Senior Member.

Yes. YES 100x over! Forget their bottling timelines. All that “4- week timeline” is doing is encouraging bad practices and impatience.
You can follow the instructions up to the bottling step (with certain tweaks) and then top it up and put it to bed for a while, racking every few months. This will help keep sediment out of the bottle, and also prevent you from drinking it all too early.

Agreed. My gut feeling.

So this advice is based on your reading experience, right?? Since you made your third kit a few months ago, botched it, and had it bottled in less time than any other newbie I’ve ever seen. You certainly haven’t experienced aging a kit for a year.

Nah, that kit was expired I poured it out. I've only done all grape and bought the kit since the owner of shop gave me a discount. I hate wine kits and will stick to all grape. Even experienced you can still learn that's where a lot of people go wrong

Also John stop beating a dead horse!

Nah, that kit was expired I poured it out. I've only done all grape and bought the kit since the owner of shop gave me a discount. I hate wine kits and will stick to all grape.

Hmmm, in your post below, you said you bottled it. Then you tasted it three days later and said there was no bottle shock and that you had really high hopes for it...........Maybe it's me who's confused.

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/am-i-reading-this-hydrometer-wrong.65625/page-4

Hmmm, in your post below, you said you bottled it. Then you tasted it three days later and said there was no bottle shock and that you had really high hopes for it...........Maybe it's me who's confused.

https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/am-i-reading-this-hydrometer-wrong.65625/page-4
That was me just saying that, i goofed up didnt want to pour out wine because you guys would scream what the hell are you doing lol. So i said that so that you guys wouldnt go mental.

That was me just saying that, i goofed up didnt want to pour out wine because you guys would scream what the hell are you doing lol. So i said that so that you guys wouldnt go mental.

People here don't go mental when new members / winemakers make mistakes, we have all been there and have all learned better practices through and with the help of others. Winemakers are generally a very patient and tolerant group of folks who love what they do as a hobby or business, and are passionate about winemaking, some just do it for fun too.

But you can make people go mental with too much BS, too much skills inflation, too much volunteering of unfounded, fabrications of facts, and general disrespect for truth. It probably seems to you like I'm on your ass, well, I am. But I'd rather not be, but you put stuff out there that other folks read and might take to heart and make a real mistake.

If you need help, I'll be the first to jump in if I have some info or experience that will help you, but won't make a peep if it's out of my league. Take your time and learn here.

People here don't go mental when new members / winemakers make mistakes, we have all been there and have all learned better practices through and with the help of others. Winemakers are generally a very patient and tolerant group of folks who love what they do as a hobby or business, and are passionate about winemaking, some just do it for fun too.

But you can make people go mental with too much BS, too much skills inflation, too much volunteering of unfounded, fabrications of facts, and general disrespect for truth. It probably seems to you like I'm on your ass, well, I am. But I'd rather not be, but you put stuff out there that other folks read and might take to heart and make a real mistake.

If you need help, I'll be the first to jump in if I have some info or experience that will help you, but won't make a peep if it's out of my league. Take your time and learn here.
Ive made over a dozen batches of wine, even though i havent been doing it for years i dont consider myself new or a novice.

Ive made over a dozen batches of wine, even though i havent been doing it for years i dont consider myself new or a novice.

If that’s the case, then I don’t consider you new or a novice either, but by the same token, don’t consider you a Senior Member or an expert. Take it slow and have fun, chime in when you can share experiences to help others, read and learn when you can’t add to the conversation. It’s OK to share opinions, but call them what they are, opinions. Your opinions may be challenged, we do that here all of the time, it’s good for learning and improving.

We have members who just read and rarely post, and non-members who just read, search for information and never post, in both of those cases, someone could read a post by a Senior Member, made authoritatively (ie, not as an opinion) and run with it. We have a responsibility to this hobby / addiction / business that we share and love, I’m only asking that you heed that responsibility.

If that’s the case, then I don’t consider you new or a novice either, but by the same token, don’t consider you a Senior Member or an expert. Take it slow and have fun, chime in when you can share experiences to help others, read and learn when you can’t add to the conversation. It’s OK to share opinions, but call them what they are, opinions. Your opinions may be challenged, we do that here all of the time, it’s good for learning and improving.

We have members who just read and rarely post, and non-members who just read, search for information and never post, in both of those cases, someone could read a post by a Senior Member, made authoritatively (ie, not as an opinion) and run with it. We have a responsibility to this hobby / addiction / business that we share and love, I’m only asking that you heed that responsibility.
I just am too fast to reply, and dont think a lot i just type whats going on in my head, sometimes it comes out sounding wrong.

Latest posts

Back