WineXpert Yeast swap for SE Brunello w/Skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I opened the box to inventory all the goodies that come with the WE SE Brunello w/Skins and am very pleased overall - oak for the primary, oak for the finish, 2 liter grape pack. But, the yeast WE sends with this kit is the workhorse of yeasts EC1118.

Go with the workhorse, or something else? I have some D254, RC212 and BM4x4 on hand, and can always take a run to the LHBS. I'm kicking off an EM this weekend. As always, your comments are appreciated!

Anything but EC 1118, Either the BM 4x4 or the RC 212 would be my choice

I'm going to throw a curve ball, maybe think about trying yeast. Vintners Harvest R56. I added it to my red Chilean Juice Buckets. First time using it, but it smells wonderful so far and I stole a little taste and they are progressing quite nicely. I wanted to use BM4x4, but my local supplier was out. So I decided to take a flyer and try it out. Here's some words from the supplier:

Ideally suited for rich, full bodied red wines with exceptional flavour complexity.

Noted for exceptional depth and flavour complexity, R56 exhibits complex aromatics during fermentation conferring an old world quality which one might only expect from natural flora multiple strain fermentations.

Unusually for complex aromatic strains, R56 still respects the varietal character of the fruit and confers good structure and balance. R56 is also a high glycerol producing strain.

R56 is a medium rate fermenter with optimal temperature between 22 to 30ºC (72 -86ºF) which will ferment to 13.5% abv. ethanol.

I am pushing that to it's limit, since I think my Chileans ended up going to be closer to 14%ABV, but it should be okay. I did give it a little bit more nutrient than normal to keep the yeasties happy.

JIm,

I used two packets of RC-212 in mine (with Go Ferm and eventually Fermaid O).

I think your wife liked that if I'm not mistaken? And I know she's hard to please! :)

PS. Just don't tell her I said that or I might get a flower pot or something thrown at me as I approach the front door next time I visit...

JIm,

I used two packets of RC-212 in mine (with Go Ferm and eventually Fermaid O).

I think your wife liked that if I'm not mistaken? And I know she's hard to please! :)

PS. Just don't tell her I said that or I might get a flower pot or something thrown at me as I approach the front door next time I visit...

LOL. I'm having dinner with your sister and brother in law tonight. I'll try not to let that slip out. :b

If they don't treat you well, just let me know and I'll try to make it up to you.

You're safe. We played Cards Against Humanity.

Mixed the juice, water, skins and oak. We're at a low 1.07 SG. Will let it sit for 12 hours or so and check my SG again. Maybe jack it with a little simple syrup if I can't get to 13.5% ABV or better.

You're safe. We played Cards Against Humanity.

Mixed the juice, water, skins and oak. We're at a low 1.07 SG. Will let it sit for 12 hours or so and check my SG again. Maybe jack it with a little simple syrup if I can't get to 13.5% ABV or better.
Mine was about the same when I mixed up the kit and was 1.086 the next morning. It finished at .994, so about 12% ABV. I think that kit could easily handle more alcohol, though the taster I had was enjoyable the way I made it.

I'm going to throw a curve ball, maybe think about trying yeast. Vintners Harvest R56. I added it to my red Chilean Juice Buckets. First time using it, but it smells wonderful so far and I stole a little taste and they are progressing quite nicely. I wanted to use BM4x4, but my local supplier was out. So I decided to take a flyer and try it out. Here's some words from the supplier:

I've never seen anyone but myself post about R56. More often then not it is one of the yeasts I use since I always use more then one yeast. I also like VR21.

Mine was about the same when I mixed up the kit and was 1.086 the next morning. It finished at .994, so about 12% ABV. I think that kit could easily handle more alcohol, though the taster I had was enjoyable the way I made it.

Wow, that seems really low. Hopefully, it will come up like Craig says. But I think of Brunello as a BIG wine. I am surprised it isn't more "fortified" than even Craig's final numbers.

This morning's stir produced an SG of 1.084. So, I dropped some simple syrup and jacked the SG to 1.092. Next we dropped our yeast.

The winner: BM4x4. Given that I'm doing an EM and the ABV isn't going to be terribly high, I only used one packet. I also dropped about 8gr of Tannin.

Since the SE comes with 2 liters of jammy skins, I used the bag so that I can salvage more of the wine when racking.

Aside from a daily punch and stir for the next couple weeks, this wine will sit undisturbed for 8 weeks. Racking on July 15th.

Latest posts

Back