Yeast Storage for next year

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at Lodi Wine Labs buying Allegro yeast yesterday and had to buy 500gm. I got to talking with the head guy there about storage. I said flat out that it would be good at least 3 more harvests and likely longer, but the interesting thing he said, was not to freeze it. He said that vacuum sealed in the refrigerator was ideal, but he specifically said without prompting to avoid the freezer. Just thought I'd put that out there to add to the collective wisdom.

I was at Lodi Wine Labs buying Allegro yeast yesterday and had to buy 500gm. I got to talking with the head guy there about storage. I said flat out that it would be good at least 3 more harvests and likely longer, but the interesting thing he said, was not to freeze it. He said that vacuum sealed in the refrigerator was ideal, but he specifically said without prompting to avoid the freezer. Just thought I'd put that out there to add to the collective wisdom.
I'm glad you put that out there, Thanks.
I also had some left over yeast from last year that I kept in the fridge and was worried that it would not be good anymore.
I used it this year and it was as good as first time.
It is a Melody yeast from CHr Hansen that needs no sulfate or nutrient and you can start MLF with CH16 right away after primary,before pressing.
The whole process took less than 5 weeks.
Cheers!
John

I just got a vacuum sealer a few months ago. Gonna use for yeast and probably not much else. Def need to improve my storage system. I store in bags in a Tupperware bin with a lid at room temp currently. Never had an issue from it. But might as well utilize the vacuum sealer.

Btw the yeast I used yesterday was expired in 2018 stored as I said. I didn’t hydrate to confirm it was good— or even think to do it since I sprinkle pitched Lol. Perhaps overly confident?. Getting wreckless over here! (Tho I do know yeast is crazy resilient and those exp dates are bogus). Regardless though, Fingers crossed!

Great info
Please take that with a grain of salt because in all reality I have no idea what I’m talking about. Any science involved/ why to refrigerate/ how expiration dates are calculated etc etc
I’d guess I’m increasing my odds for problems to occur to an extent.
I don’t wanna push #FakeNews!
I just know what I’ve seen.

FWIW that D-47 2018 expired room temp stored yeast sprinkled on some wine showed visible activity a day later.
FAA11805-C865-40B4-8084-9D2B6658651A.jpeg

Latest posts

Back