Yeast starter vs rehydration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, getting worried. Need guidance. It's been 24 hours and fermentation seems at best anemic. Though I don't exactly know what it's supposed to look like insofar as wine is concerned, during fermentation with beer, at the 24 hour mark the bubbles are a flowing baby. However, in this case (first batch of wine) there are some non-moving bubbles around the edges and a few clumps of them here and there (indicating at least some fermentation), but otherwise there doesn't seem to be much going on. The must is now 70 degrees, although the yeast was pitched yesterday at 57 +/- degrees. As of this morning is was only 67 degrees. The dry "MT" yeast was pitched per mfg instructions along with Go-Ferm. I've stirred it several times. Any suggestions? Should I panic yet?

I'd give it another 24-48 hours before getting concerned. Did you mention what yeast you used? Some have longer lag times than others.

57 is pretty low and 70 is much better. The yeast organisms also produce heat so i’d expect it to bump a little above ambient once they’re awake but at 57 I’d expect a slow start too. Sounds like the yeasties are building their colony and will get up to their parlor tricks soon.

Cheers and good luck!
Johann

Thanks folks--I'm feeling "first-date" nervous with my inaugural batch of wine.

No, you shouldn't panic. It usually takes me ~48 hours before I see visible signs of fermentation. Especially if you pitched at 57F.

EDIT: sorry, I didn't see all the people who already answered your question before I posted.

Last edited:
Foam or Bubbles don't matter - the SG reading is the only thing to focus on. Some yeast/must combinations foam up like a shaken bottle of coke, other do look rather anemic but the only thing that matters is the SG reading. It should be dropping steadily over the days.
Your starting temp, while 'in range' was at the low end but the rise in temp suggest that fermentation is underway.

Again - You need starting and current SG readings. If you didn't take a starting reading take one now and start comparing that to the next readings about every 12-24 hours. As long as that reading is dropping, fermentation is ongoing. Once you get down to 1.010 or less, you can consider racking into a secondary container (Carboy) for the finish of fermentation. Once that SG reading is below .995 you are at the doorstep of a finished ferment. IF the ferment hits a number at or below .995 and does not change for 3 days, the fermentation is completed.

Thank you. Yes, I did take a reading--Brix of 23. Haven't measured it again since fermentation began. Will check it again within the next day or so. Many thanks to all of you who have offered your collective experience. Much appreciated!

Thank you. Yes, I did take a reading--Brix of 23. Haven't measured it again since fermentation began. Will check it again within the next day or so. Many thanks to all of you who have offered your collective experience. Much appreciated!
Since you say Brix, I am going to make an assumption (and I hope I am wrong) that you are using a refractometer to measure with. Don't forget that as soon as there is alcohol present, refractometers will read the wrong value. There are approximate conversions available online. Hydrometers will read the correct value.

Yes, I am using a refractometer. And yes, I use a conversion tool (contained within Beersmith) to ascertain the actual gravity values.

Save yourself the aggravation and get a hydrometer. Refractometers are best for checking ripeness of grapes in the field, once you have them crushed the hydrometer is the better tool.

Latest posts

Back