Yeast specifications and instructions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldmack3

Reaction score
I just purchased some juice kits from Kamil. (14 - 11ltr carboys) They came with different yeasts as recommended by Brew Wine. Reading about the different yeast I'm not sure I understand the rehydration method Red Star specifies on their Rasteur Red.
Specifically:

"The rehydration time should be between 20 to 25 minutes."
Easy enough

"This strain should be rehydrated in ten times its weight of sugared water or in a mixture of one-third of must and two-thirds of water. The mixture temperature should be 35/38°C (95/100°F). Stir during 20 minutes."
Ten times it's weight? What are we talking about here? 5gr pack of yeast to 15 gr of mixture?

"Slowly sprinkle the culture media into 3 times the weight of the must in order for the yeasts to adapt to their new fermentation media (temperature difference, osmotic pressure, SO 2), then wait for 10 minutes."
Three times it's weight? So 60 gr of must?

I understand the concept here..I've usually rehydrated in 200 ml at 90F for 10 minutes (based on many different recommendations and opinions) unless received special instructons. But since I'm getting more and more into this I'm trying to improve the final product as much as possible and following the yeast manufcturers recommendations exactly seems like a good idea.

I'm sure they have a reason for this spec but am I being overly concerned about the volume of the liquid mixture? I do have a habit of overthinking things.

Thanks all.

Les

Ten times it's weight? What are we talking about here? 5gr pack of yeast to 15 gr of mixture?

Actually ten times its weight would be 50 grams of water. I really don't think the amount is critical, usually about a 1/2 cup to a cup of water is enough. But I'm with John, just sprinkle it on top of the must and be done with it. I've found that sprinkling the yeast on top of the must is just as good as making a starter.

It is really no different from preparing yeast when making pizza:
re-hydrate your yeast as follows: Heat up a small amount of water, 1/4 - 1/2 cup is plenty, in the microwave until approx 104°, do not exceed 115° or you can kill the yeast, pour the packet of yeast into the water, let it sit, you will see it rehydrate and start to foam.
At this point, if you want to maximize yeast reproduction (this is what we are after) take an equal amount of grape juice (equal to the amount of water you used to rehydrate) and add it to the yeast/water mix, this will give the now multiplying yeast the nutrients it needs to continue to reproduce and it will get it acclimated to the temp of the must.
Be sure that the must is at least 70°- 75° before you pitch the yeast, this will keep things moving and you will have less lag time.

I don't sweat this stuff either. I use GoFERM and start everything in a stir starter. I usually wait 20 minutes or so before I pitch it into my must. And when I do I pour it across the top and stir it into the must about 12 hours later.

Latest posts

Back