Quantcast

Yeast slurry

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Lilocsprings

Reaction score
Kinda new at this. Sorry to ask but what is yeast slurry. Would like to make Skeeter Pee. *

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
It's the deposits/sediment left at the bottom of your fermenter after you rack at the end of primary alcoholic fermentation.

richmke

Reaction score
If you haven't made any wine, then get a packet of EC-1118 yeast. It costs about $2 from a home brew store.

Lilocsprings

Reaction score
Ec-1118

Will the EC-1118 do the exact same thing? I've made a lot of wine but rather use the yeast if it does the exact same thing....also just one packet? I'm doing 5 gallons

Last edited:

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
Yes. One packet of EC-1118 will ferment just about anything! Your good to go. I just read the original recipe, and I also find it odd that the recipe specially calls for yeast slurry from another recent wine batch. I wonder what the thought process was with that.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
Will the EC-1118 do the exact same thing? I've made a lot of wine but rather use the yeast if it does the exact same thing....also just one packet? I'm doing 5 gallons
Yes. One packet of EC-1118 will ferment just about anything! Your good to go. I just read the original recipe, and I also find it odd that the recipe specially calls for yeast slurry from another recent wine batch. I wonder what the thought process was with that.
The idea of using the slurry is that it acts as a really good starter, and can get fermentation going even in adverse conditions. I agree, EC-1118 can handle the conditions that Dragon's Blood presents (at least it did for me!), so don't worry about the slurry -- use the EC-1118.

Arne

Reaction score
The idea of using the slurry is that it acts as a really good starter, and can get fermentation going even in adverse conditions. I agree, EC-1118 can handle the conditions that Dragon's Blood presents (at least it did for me!), so don't worry about the slurry -- use the EC-1118.
Don't forget you get some of the flavors from the mother wine. Gives each batch a unique flavor for each new wine. Now trying to duplicate the slurry flavor for another batch can be interesting. Have fun and good luck with your batches. Arne.

Rodnboro

Reaction score
The slurry does add unique flavors from the wine. I have made several batches of Skeeter Pee and only used a slurry once. If you don't have a slurry, EC-1118 works great.

Redbird1

Reaction score
My understanding is that the yeast slurry was intended to help overcome the adverse conditions of the large addition of acid from the lemon juice right up front. I know some start with half of the lemon juice until things take off, just to lessen the stress til things get rolling.

Latest posts