yeast slurry?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kracker

Reaction score
sorry to be a pain, i have searched and googled and cannot figure out what yeast slurry is. its an ingredient in skeeter pee.

Yeast slurry is just the last sediment and yeast from a just completed wine that is left behind when racking from primary to secondary.

as WineYooper stated it is the sediment from your first racking. It is better if you use a slurry from a fresh grape or fruit wine.

And my $0.02 just use yeast. I know what the recipe says, but I have made Skeeter Pee on several occasions, always with EC-1118, it always works like a champ.

I have done it both ways. I get a faster start with the slurry. But, for a buck fifty, I'd rather use new yeast and not wind up with double the crap/lees in the second batch....and EC1118 will chew through just about anything pretty quickly. Both work well....I just always have EC1118 on hand.

I have done it both ways. I get a faster start with the slurry. But, for a buck fifty, I'd rather use new yeast and not wind up with double the crap/lees in the second batch....and EC1118 will chew through just about anything pretty quickly. Both work well....I just always have EC1118 on hand.

I have made it with new yeast and with the slurry. But with the new yeast you do not get any of the flavors from the original ferment. If you leave a quart or so of wine with the slurry it should give you some flavor besides lemon for the wine. Also if you just start off on the slurry, it usually takes off like gangbusters.The biggest problem with it is if you want to replicate it , it is rather hard to make a slurry just like the last one. Good luck with it, Arne.

For recipes that call for yeast slurry (like SP) a highly tolerant yeast like 1118 or K1V-1116 will probably do just fine if you rehydrate per the mfg directions. From my experience slurry does take off faster, but does not clear any more quickly or impact how reliably you will get a full fermentation. The main benefit of recyling unwashed yeast is, as mentioned, the flavors from the previous wine.

Back