Yeast Slurry? help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panama

Junior
Reaction score
Using a mead slurry for a 5 gallon batch of SP, the slurry has been in the fridge for a little while now. So guess im asking what is the best way to pitch/start the cooled slurry? and how much slurry is rec. for a 5 gallon batch?

-Panama

I usually have 2-3 cups slurry. A bit more or less shouldn't make much difference. If it's been in the fridge, I'd bring it out to come up to room temp, maybe give it a little sugar water to get it back into good shape while waiting to dump it into the Skeeter Pee.

I agree, warm it up and give it something to start going first like a little bit of OJ.

Thanks for the replies, gonna add slurry this evening, will see how it works out.:D

Ok... dump it in and stand back.

Well, it's not that fast, but I have had some batches with a good slurry finish fermenting in 4-5 days.

Updater :

tossed the slurry in last night after letting come to room temp & adding a little warm water+sugar.......nothing this morning or this evening..... :( sooo, used the drill and mud mixer to add a little oxy, & whoa! what a change....guess the small kitchen wisk does not have the same effect as the other.....think it is progressing. Might be jumping the gun, but will see...

Just Started a new batch aswell, but thats another story...( prob a failure ) - just finished cleaning up, don't know what will come of this new junk I have encountered/attempted to create?!?! ( now sitting covered, in a dark room )

-Panama :D

Last edited:
The long wait. if you ever get ahead a little bit it is not nearly so long. The first ones tend to get tasted sooner, but that leaves less to bottle. Talk to Tom, use his 3 P's and you will have some great wine before you know it. One thing, the skeeter p is pretty fast, does not take long to get it drinkable.

Tossed in slurry Monday eve, looked like it was going well later that eve and the next morning, now has been doing nothing since then. S.G still at 1.075. Any ideas on what is going on :a1

-APnama

Did you get it going first like I stated? Its the best way to know if your yeast is still viable instead of blindly throwing in a yeast. If nothing yet I would make a yeast starter and once that is going good add some of the pee to it gradually to get it acclimated to the high ta. I wouldnt add the starter to the whole batch until you have gradually tripled the size of the starter and its still going good.

Followed advice from prior post, was not rumbling but thought was ok.

Last night being new to wine and such was messing around with some yeast kinda playing with idea of making a starter, had extra yeast so figured why not experiment. Started with RedStar Cham.. Yeast packet followed directions added some sugar water and a little cran juice throughout the eve, was going well, was about to clean up and toss said experiment when I had the idea to add a pack of Cuvee and some more juice/water...just to seee what would go on for S&*Ts and giggles. After a bit started going nicely. so decided to clean up and not toss experiment. Got home tonight still bubbling away, added some white grape juice (which it seems to like) to it and going to add some of the must, just to see what happens, would this mixure of two diff yeasts work as a starter, or shall I just make a new starter all togather?

-Anpanam

That will work great but just know that the stronger yeast will take over so mixing yeast packets is a waste of one of the yeasts.

How often should I start adding the must, and how much at a time. Have the experiment starter in a gallon jug.

- Panama

Last edited:
I would add the new must at the rate of 1/3rd of what you have going already and dont add any more until its going good again. and like I said earlier dont add this to your must until youve added 3 sperate adds of this new must to it cause this is what it has to acclimate to. Grape juice will almost always ferment well as its the perfect fermentatble unlike most other fruits. Grapes are usually very balanced as far as ph and ta and contain decent nutrients.

Have not added any must yet, but here's z pic of what is goin...

7e89c693.jpg

-panama

Latest posts

Back