Yeast selection

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol. Can’t go wrong with proven winners. Thats for sure. I’ve had success with all 3. Most recently 254. And was very impressed with the results.

Looking forward to trying my hand at some renaissance yeast this year. My one bugaboo is that it eats 30% malic. So after MLF I’ll have 30% lees lactic I woulda otherwise had. Good thing? Bad thing? Who knows. I’m pretty sure theres barely any lactic anyway so difference likely undetectable.

212 is a comfort thing for me. Throughout my 20’s every September I’d pick up my annual juice bucket or 3.
Never researched. Not nearly informed enough to make my own decisions. I let the my fellow goombas I purchased from make the call for me. And majority of the time it was 212.

212 is a comfort thing for me. Throughout my 20’s every September I’d pick up my annual juice bucket or 3.
Never researched. Not nearly informed enough to make my own decisions. I let the my fellow goombas I purchased from make the call for me. And majority of the time it was 212.

A good yeast for sure. Comfort and familiarity with a yeast, it’s characteristics and kinetics is good, you know what to expect, and therefore know quickly when something is amiss. It leads me to be a little less experimental than I probably should be.......

Lots of opinions here. Can someone breakdown the difference between 4x4, 212 and 254 please. Does yeast selection have anything to do with what type of grape is involved.

Thanks

WV

Lots of opinions here. Can someone breakdown the difference between 4x4, 212 and 254 please. Does yeast selection have anything to do with what type of grape is involved.

Thanks

WV

Yes, it has lots to do with the grape, and how the yeast ferments it. They’re all good yeasts for the Montepulciano you are doing. Here’s a link to a chart you should save for future yeast picking, still use it myself.

https://winemakermag.com/resource/yeast-strains-chart

You have the description of D254 above in the thread.

Any opinions on EC 1118?

Well, EC1118 is thought of as neutral and bog standard. Very good, reliable fermenter that adds very little enhancements to the wine. Therefore, if one is asking about "best yeast for Montepulciano" no one will answer "EC1118." That would be sort of like asking "What is the best ice cream flavor?" and someone answering "Vanilla is the best ice cream flavor."

That's really funny Rc212 has been my go to for 10 years, this is may 2nd year back after a 5 year vacation after reading about D254 and D80 and Renaissance Avante. I stepped out of my comfort zone and used D254 and D80 and split 2 batches for 150 Gallons. I must say at this point 14 days into it, I'm very impressed with both D254 and D80 I can't wait for the final verdict. But I don't think I'll go back to RC212 after this experience.
Mike

I am really going to have to start buying yeast from Amazon. Anywhere within a 2 hr drive here only carries EC1118 and K1V116. If I go further afield (3 hr drive) I can find D47, BM4X4, RC212 and a few Red Star choices, but not sure it's worth the $15 for shipping from there or the $50 in gas, plus time. This is when I definitely miss living in a bigger city! This forum is definitely improving my results!

I am really going to have to start buying yeast from Amazon. Anywhere within a 2 hr drive here only carries EC1118 and K1V116. If I go further afield (3 hr drive) I can find D47, BM4X4, RC212 and a few Red Star choices, but not sure it's worth the $15 for shipping from there or the $50 in gas, plus time. This is when I definitely miss living in a bigger city! This forum is definitely improving my results!
Thats unfortunate, my favorite yeasts are BM 4x4 and RC 212 i had a wine come out really stinky and go bad that was fine before malolactic, something happened during malo that messed the wine up.

Well, EC1118 is thought of as neutral and bog standard. Very good, reliable fermenter that adds very little enhancements to the wine. Therefore, if one is asking about "best yeast for Montepulciano" no one will answer "EC1118." That would be sort of like asking "What is the best ice cream flavor?" and someone answering "Vanilla is the best ice cream flavor."

I'm right with you on the EC1118 but you just can't beat a good vanilla ice cream.

Latest posts

Back