Yeast selection

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're going down the nutrient black hole again.

Fermaid O is basically an organic source of nitrogen, it is primarily yeast extract and was intended for the organic wine industry. It has a relatively low nitrogen content and may not provide enough nitrogen for very low YAN musts. Since most of us don't know the YAN of our musts, we have to go with what works, in most cases a red grape must might be at 150ppm initial YAN so a little supplement is ok and the yeast finishes the ferment. If you are unlucky and have a must come in at 40 or 50ppm YAN, a standard addition of O will not cut it.

DAP has a much higher nitrogen content, but it has been known for many years that straight DAP additions can throw off the nitrogen balance of the must, which is why most high quality nutrients are a blend of DAP, yeast extract, and vitamins. The nutrient blends can provide more YAN for those musts with greater deficiency.

To each their own. I don’t fear the DAP. Since is the only white substance, looking at a bag of Ferm K you can see how little is actually in there. To my understanding there’s absolutely nothing to worry about early on. It’s only later nutrient additions when DAP can do some damage. I learned this when needing to make a proper yeast starter for stuck ferment and the different steps for high/low stuck brix.
At too high abv it feeds bacteria instead of yeast IIRC. Is there other negatives about DAP?

I think you may be correct, it's the end of a fermentation you want to avoid DAP.

I think you may be correct, it's the end of a fermentation you want to avoid DAP.

And there itis. Your post and stickman’s crossed lines. But I guess you see it now. Aside from the late dap addition issue, there’s potential to boost N too much and jacking up the balance.
At most I’ve added a 1/2 a shot of DAP at the beginning. But usually none aside from what’s in the fermK.
[stepping out of black hole now]

Last edited:
Before you cross the event horizon (not sure how you would do that, coming out...) you could read this thread: https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/got-off-the-phone-with-the-fermaid-people.38704/

I was trying to step OUT. Not dive deeper in then I ever have before!

I came across this thread last year. I made it farther this time. But after so long I gotta walk away. Gets to a point where your just spinning the wheels. Still sticking to the game plan. And possibly, just maybe— switching out the 2nd dose of fermK for fermO. It all depends on my mood at that time. ——- not losing any sleep over it tho.
What I am sweating is this acid adjustment right now. I’ve got 3.8 ph and 7.65 TA. Checked twice. In the midst of bumping oh down somewhat. Trying to keep it below 8g/L TA. Thoughts or suggestions?

I was trying to step OUT. Not dive deeper in then I ever have before!

I came across this thread last year. I made it farther this time. But after so long I gotta walk away. Gets to a point where your just spinning the wheels. Still sticking to the game plan. And possibly, just maybe— switching out the 2nd dose of fermK for fermO. It all depends on my mood at that time. ——- not losing any sleep over it tho.
What I am sweating is this acid adjustment right now. I’ve got 3.8 ph and 7.65 TA. Checked twice. In the midst of bumping oh down somewhat. Trying to keep it below 8g/L TA. Thoughts or suggestions?

Add .35 grams per liter and call it a day. Make taste adjustments when it’s time.

Add .35 grams per liter and call it a day. Make taste adjustments when it’s time.

My man! Ok that helps reassure what I came up with- which was just that.

My math ended up at .349g/L to make sure I didn’t sacrifice TA over 8. Good deal. Catch ya on the flip side.
I’ll fill ya in all about my eventful winemaking weekend soon enough! Until then it’s a healthy balance of balancing ph/TA and winemaking while chipping away at the honeydo list. Gotta keep the wine AND the woman happy at ALL times.

Latest posts

Back