Yeast selection

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am really going to have to start buying yeast from Amazon. Anywhere within a 2 hr drive here only carries EC1118 and K1V116. If I go further afield (3 hr drive) I can find D47, BM4X4, RC212 and a few Red Star choices, but not sure it's worth the $15 for shipping from there or the $50 in gas, plus time. This is when I definitely miss living in a bigger city! This forum is definitely improving my results!

MoreWine is my goto for buying online. Never been disappointed.

MoreWine is my goto for buying online. Never been disappointed.
Same here, never has an issue with them, its also nice to know you have everything before hand.
I remember going to Corrados it was always crazy and hectic,I would always forget something or they wouldn't have it. I would also just rely on them for the yeast because there was usually only one choice choice RC212 or Pastur Red!
Ordering online from Morewine for me just eliminates the stress especially when the place doesn't have what you want.
This year I created an Excel spreadsheet that calculates my supplies based on the lbs of grapes I buy, now if I change what I buy the spreadsheet will adjust my supplies.
Basically it converts pounds of grapes to gallons of must & wine and than calculates grams needed for all my additives based on the mfg recommended use, for Lallazyme Ex-V, yeast, goferm, opti-red, oak, ferm-k or O provides me with a complete list, makes it easy to order exactly what I need.
This is a sample sheet for next years Wine Vintage.

Attachments

• 2019 Wine Buy sheets.pdf
    96.8 KB · Views: 14
Same here, never has an issue with them, its also nice to know you have everything before hand.
I remember going to Corrados it was always crazy and hectic,I would always forget something or they wouldn't have it. I would also just rely on them for the yeast because there was usually only one choice choice RC212 or Pastur Red!
Ordering online from Morewine for me just eliminates the stress especially when the place doesn't have what you want.
This year I created an Excel spreadsheet that calculates my supplies based on the lbs of grapes I buy, now if I change what I buy the spreadsheet will adjust my supplies.
Basically it converts pounds of grapes to gallons of must & wine and than calculates grams needed for all my additives based on the mfg recommended use, for Lallazyme Ex-V, yeast, goferm, opti-red, oak, ferm-k or O provides me with a complete list, makes it easy to order exactly what I need.
This is a sample sheet for next years Wine Vintage.
Nice Sheet, I use Williams Brewing, More Wine or My local shop which has more than both of them when it comes to wine yeasts. I can get literally every major yeast locally within 22 miles of where i live.

When do you think you will need your yeast by? And how much wine are you making. ?
I always buy extra and have a plethora. Willing to send it over if it worked out. (Just took some inventory tonight)
Take your pick

D-254 - 8g
D-80. 8g
Bm 4x4. 16g
Rc 212. 15g
D47- 10g
EC-1118 - 60g

Another member @CDrew just sent me some yeast he had leftover in the mail actually. So I might as well pay it forward. Let me know man

Here's a yeast pairing chart that will help:
http://www.piwine.com/media/pdf/yeast-selection-chart.pdf
I personally have used RC212 on Montepulciano with good results.
I like Rc 212 as a overall general use red wine yeast, because it will pretty much work with anything. Althought its a really big nutrient hog which sort of sucks. I had massive issues with it producing a ton of off compounds one time that about made me pass out thats how bad it smelled.

Nice Sheet, I use Williams Brewing, More Wine or My local shop which has more than both of them when it comes to wine yeasts. I can get literally every major yeast locally within 22 miles of where i live.
Nice to have a local place where you can get all your supplies.

Nice to have a local place where you can get all your supplies.
It helps, that's how I keep my costs down although I do have to order fermentation buckets online as they only have 8 gallon buckets but do have 5,6.5 gallon wide mouth and or carboys do it's pretty annoying. Only complaint about my local shop

I have been using Renaissance Avanti for th last couple years and really like it. No H2S and that is a big relief. It has nice aroma characteristics and well as fruit forward ness, which I like. I am using it on my Sangiovese, Zin, and CF grapes. Oh, these are grapes I grow myself. Try it, I think you would like it. It is available in small packages from Lodi Wine Labs. Cheers

I have been using Renaissance Avanti for th last couple years and really like it. No H2S and that is a big relief. It has nice aroma characteristics and well as fruit forward ness, which I like. I am using it on my Sangiovese, Zin, and CF grapes. Oh, these are grapes I grow myself. Try it, I think you would like it. It is available in small packages from Lodi Wine Labs. Cheers
My plan is to see my results with the split batches of D254 and D80 combined after AF, Absolutely No H2S with using Ferm-K or Ferm-O very impressed with the taste color and smell of both and the combo was outstanding. I might find it hard to beat. Curious has anyone compared the results, using a blended D80 and D254 with a OVZ and Cab Sav,vs Avanti, especially when you control the nutrients with D80 & D254.
Mike

My plan is to see my results with the split batches of D254 and D80 combined after AF, Absolutely No H2S with using Ferm-K or Ferm-O very impressed with the taste color and smell of both and the combo was outstanding. I might find it hard to beat. Curious has anyone compared the results, using a blended D80 and D254 with a OVZ and Cab Sav,vs Avanti, especially when you control the nutrients with D80 & D254.
Mike

I did a Cab in the spring with those but combined them right after AF. Wish I hadn't.

Mike

Malbec I did in May with d80 and d254 I kept separated up until a week ago. Finically Blended in a new barrel.
I gotta give it to the 254 to be the clear winner. Bigger nose and flavor all around. Not to say d80 was bad. By no means. Just more subtle notes. Not as much of a fruit bomb. Possibly even more complex? My palate is still a work in progress. I’m thinking they will complement each other extremely well as suggested.
Using Avante for the new batch. No comparisons or blending tho. Straight cab. Straight Avante. No games. With some cross vintage blending later on.

Malbec I did in May with d80 and d254 I kept separated up until a week ago. Finically Blended in a new barrel.
I gotta give it to the 254 to be the clear winner. Bigger nose and flavor all around. Not to say d80 was bad. By no means. Just more subtle notes. Not as much of a fruit bomb. Possibly even more complex? My palate is still a work in progress. I’m thinking they will complement each other extremely well as suggested.
Using Avante for the new batch. No comparisons or blending tho. Straight cab. Straight Avante. No games. With some cross vintage blending later on.
Agreed on the initial taste of the D254, however the D80 was softer and a bit more complex on my palate... We did a 5 person taste comparison of the (D254), (D80) and the (combined), even at this stage the combined was the clear winner. Time will tell. AS Mainshipfred has said it would have been nice to save a separate 5 gallon control test of each....
With the your Avante yeast did you hydrate with Goferm? Did you add nutrients Ferm-K or Ferm-O.
My thoughts on the H2S issues is usually caused by a nutrient deficiency. so if you keep the D245 & D80 feed there's no issues with H2S, so bottom line how is the flavor and body compare to the combined D254 & D80. That's the question for 2019 Vintage?????

Mike

For The Avante yeast I follow the normal protocols for hydration and nutrients. I use GoFirm Protect and Fermaid K. I also use OptiRed right after crushing and then pitch the next day. I find that the ferment goes along well without heating up too much and no H2S. I cannot tell any shortcoming on aroma or complexity. A number of authors have said that the different beasts seem to average out with bulk aging and bottling anyway.

For The Avante yeast I follow the normal protocols for hydration and nutrients. I use GoFirm Protect and Fermaid K. I also use OptiRed right after crushing and then pitch the next day. I find that the ferment goes along well without heating up too much and no H2S. I cannot tell any shortcoming on aroma or complexity. A number of authors have said that the different beasts seem to average out with bulk aging and bottling anyway.
Thanks, my protocols are similar, I do use Lallyzme Ex-V after So2 addition,Might give Avante a tray next season.
Mike

Agreed on the initial taste of the D254, however the D80 was softer and a bit more complex on my palate... We did a 5 person taste comparison of the (D254), (D80) and the (combined), even at this stage the combined was the clear winner. Time will tell. AS Mainshipfred has said it would have been nice to save a separate 5 gallon control test of each....
With the your Avante yeast did you hydrate with Goferm? Did you add nutrients Ferm-K or Ferm-O.
My thoughts on the H2S issues is usually caused by a nutrient deficiency. so if you keep the D245 & D80 feed there's no issues with H2S, so bottom line how is the flavor and body compare to the combined D254 & D80. That's the question for 2019 Vintage?????

Mike

Don’t have a blended sample to taste just yet, but looks like our pre blend analysis is right on par with each other.
I can’t tell ya how I innoculate Avante as I haven’t pitched yet! Likely within a few hours I’ll be pitching.
Standard routine for me has been to rehydrate with go Ferm. And then Ferm k additions.

Couple questions
1. Go Ferm and go Ferm protect. 2 different products. It’s clear just from looking at them they are not the same. In what situation is go-Ferm protect more beneficial than go-Ferm?
2. I have Ferm O. Just bought some. Planning to use it if I came across a situation where I needed to add nutes later in the ferment. Don’t see a need for earlier tho. What’s to gain from using O as main nute instead of K? There’s minimal DAP in K anyway and much different then a straight dap shot. Why use O?

Don’t have a blended sample to taste just yet, but looks like our pre blend analysis is right on par with each other.
I can’t tell ya how I innoculate Avante as I haven’t pitched yet! Likely within a few hours I’ll be pitching.
Standard routine for me has been to rehydrate with go Ferm. And then Ferm k additions.

Couple questions
1. Go Ferm and go Ferm protect. 2 different products. It’s clear just from looking at them they are not the same. In what situation is go-Ferm protect more beneficial than go-Ferm?
2. I have Ferm O. Just bought some. Planning to use it if I came across a situation where I needed to add nutes later in the ferment. Don’t see a need for earlier tho. What’s to gain from using O as main nute instead of K? There’s minimal DAP in K anyway and much different then a straight dap shot. Why use O?

Because of the DAP and not knowing what it will do to the wine I've been using O. But the winemaker I've been helping does use K at the start of fermentation. I'll ask him on Tuesday about his preference.

Because of the DAP and not knowing what it will do to the wine I've been using O. But the winemaker I've been helping does use K at the start of fermentation. I'll ask him on Tuesday about his preference.

To each their own. I don’t fear the DAP. Since is the only white substance, looking at a bag of Ferm K you can see how little is actually in there. To my understanding there’s absolutely nothing to worry about early on. It’s only later nutrient additions when DAP can do some damage. I learned this when needing to make a proper yeast starter for stuck ferment and the different steps for high/low stuck brix.
At too high abv it feeds bacteria instead of yeast IIRC. Is there other negatives about DAP?

Latest posts

Back