Yeast selection

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you taste the difference, I immediately blended mine?

Don’t know yet. I haven’t tasted em in a while. Believe it or not they are still sitting pretty since the racking off the gross lees in May. MLF finished and just letting em sit for a while.
Need to get these things racked and some so2 in em soon tho. Keeping the yeasts separated, the pressed wine separate, and another juice batch left me with 8 different vessels. (x3) 6gal , (x2) 3gal, (x2) 5L, and a 1/2gal jug. Somewhat of a pain in the ass, and Ive been putting it off at this point. It’s on my to-do list. Right underneath the honey-do list.

We have had success with the D80/D254 - like others, we did separate batches and blended post-ferment. It was amazing how they differed in aroma and taste. We did however, have our share of H2S battles. We were applying textbook nutrient adds (Ferm-K) but something was out of whack there. Loved the resulting complexity but tired of the H2S battles. That's why we went with Andante. High heat and alcohol tolerent and still quite expressive.

Don’t know yet. I haven’t tasted em in a while. Believe it or not they are still sitting pretty since the racking off the gross lees in May. MLF finished and just letting em sit for a while.
Need to get these things racked and some so2 in em soon tho. Keeping the yeasts separated, the pressed wine separate, and another juice batch left me with 8 different vessels. (x3) 6gal , (x2) 3gal, (x2) 5L, and a 1/2gal jug. Somewhat of a pain in the ass, and Ive been putting it off at this point. It’s on my to-do list. Right underneath the honey-do list.

Yep vessel management is tough sometimes. You don't want to know how many times Idouble racked because I misjudged quantities. Gallon and half gallons jugs are a life saver.

We have had success with the D80/D254 - like others, we did separate batches and blended post-ferment. It was amazing how they differed in aroma and taste. We did however, have our share of H2S battles. We were applying textbook nutrient adds (Ferm-K) but something was out of whack there. Loved the resulting complexity but tired of the H2S battles. That's why we went with Andante. High heat and alcohol tolerent and still quite expressive.

I guess you have to deal with what you are dealt. Fortunately I don't have quite the heat issue you have.

So, it seems that Scott Lab's yeast(s) (at least insofar as their Zinfandels are concerned) are NOT available to layman like me in 15 gallon qualities. So, studying their site, and their various yeast(s), appear to be of little use to a small-time, home-wine-maker, like me. And so, onward we go!

That said, suggestions from actual home-wine-makers are welcome and would be much appreciated. I'm hearing many suggest RC-212 and/or BM4x4. Sounds like RC-212 ("Aromas of ripe berry and fruit are emphasized while respecting pepper and spicy notes") may be my preferred choice!

Many thanks,
DAB
I have no complaints regarding RC212. I use it for most of my reds. That is - both grape and fruit wines. I think about it as my 'silent achiever'. It chugs along modestly without leaving you with that express train feel. Just extend your timetable by a week or two in primary.

I have no complaints regarding RC212. I use it for most of my reds. That is - both grape and fruit wines. I think about it as my 'silent achiever'. It chugs along modestly without leaving you with that express train feel. Just extend your timetable by a week or two in primary.
Unless you have ambient temperatures in the 70's. I pitched RC 212 on Sunday and today (Wednesday), my SG is 1.008. If that ain't a express train, I'd hate to ride a faster one! (It was out of date yeast and it's only been 74 hours since I pitched it).

Latest posts

Back