Yeast selection & results

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are your preferred yeast strains and how have the results been for you?

Would be great to read actual winemaker’s opinions of different yeast since manufacturer writeups make em all sound perfect.
I’m straying from my ‘go-to’ RC212 and going with d-80/d-254 combo on Malbec this spring to blend back later. But I’m basing this off of the makers recommendation.
I’m interested to hear about them all. The non h2s Renaissance yeasts, the acid removing strains, strains very nutrient needy etc.. All insight is helpful. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

I would have thought that there is no such thing as a "preferred yeast strain" except in the context of the wine or mead or beer one is making or brewing. For example, for some session meads I love Belle Saison, for others I choose D47. For my ciders I go to 71B. Horses for courses...

To date I have only used ec-1118, rc-212 and bm4x4 on my grape batches. I used the bm4x4 on my latest batch and so far very good. I like rc-212 better than ec-1118.

White QA23 and d47.

On early fermenting experiments and fruit wines used champagne yeast, Montrachet, cuvee something and a few others.

What made you select d-80 and d-254, have you used either before?

I would have thought that there is no such thing as a "preferred yeast strain" except in the context of the wine or mead or beer one is making or brewing. For example, for some session meads I love Belle Saison, for others I choose D47. For my ciders I go to 71B. Horses for courses...

I just mean for whatever you happen to be making are there strains you prefer over others. Any notable anecdotes at all?
I’m assuming there’s a reason why you say you “love” belle saison when the situation calls for it.

What made you select d-80 and d-254, have you used either before?

I heard about the idea of running 2 ferments of the same grapes and blending later for max complexity. So when looking into yeast for Malbec Lallemand simply suggested pairing with each other (or d21 too) in the description.

Last edited:
I heard about the idea of running 2 ferments in same grapes and blending later for max complexity. Some when looking into yeast for Malbec the manufacturer simply suggested pairing with each other for Malbec in the description.

I like it, that's what I figured. Might try that one of these ferments. My problem would probably be cross-contaminating during primary, forgetting and then using the same punch down tool on each.

There’s actually some great info within this forum- but you really gotta go digging to find it. Like this post on D-80 back in 2012
Thats a good one especially when blended with D254, supposedly a super winning combo. It has drawbacks though in which it magnifies problems with poor and or unripened fruit so you have to choose it wisely after studying your grapes a bit. Good to hear you had good results with it!

Something like @ibglowin’s post above is incredibly helpful and I otherwise would have never known that. I thought it would be helpful to have a thread containing info or personal experience on specific yeasts that isn’t exactly listed within the marketing descriptions.

I see both d80 and 254 are medium in nitrogen needs, opposed to rc212 and bm4x4 which are high.

I used CY3079 for a Chardonnay that I did last spring, fermented at 55F for a month, MLF's and oaked it lightly. It's by far the Chard I've ever done, some folks who taste it say it's the best they've ever tasted.

I know RC212 is sometimes said to be prone to h2s and nutrient needy. My experiences have been 100% positive. But then again I’m not sure I know what h2s smells like. I’ve smelled wine ferments my whole life. To me a healthy ferment smells something heavenly for the first half. And the 2nd half that same smell takes on a slightly bitter/acidic odor (but still pleasant and not so bitter that it’s concerning) and then decreases as ferment slows.
*but maybe I’m wrong after all and this is not a healthy ferment.

Last edited:
I don't have any side-by-side comparisons, so it is tough to say. I have had excellent results with D254 (for Bordeaux-ish varieties), and very good results with BM45 (for fat/jammy varieties) and D47 (for whites).

I don't have any side-by-side comparisons, so it is tough to say. I have had excellent results with D254 (for Bordeaux-ish varieties), and very good results with BM45 (for fat/jammy varieties) and D47 (for whites).

Last fall I looked into bm-45 and BDX. But was advised towards 4x4 since the others can require some extra TLC and I’m not very comfortable straying from nutrient directions or knowing when to call an audible. I really only have experience with 212, 4x4, and 1118. I’ve used others but it was before I took it seriously and wasn’t measuring anything.
And I’m very interested in renaissance yeast based on @4score and @norcal’s high praise. I bought andante from LodiLabs but I’ve yet to use it.

Found this link from Scott Labs. It addresses a yeasts compatibility with MLF. Alot of the strains I've not heard of but maybe only come in large quantities. I know 71B is said to be used in white wines but I've used in reds as well with no off flavors. In fact it was recommended by a commercial winemaker. It looks like the D254 is very compatible.

http://www.scottlab.com/uploads/documents/downloads/215/Yeast_MLFCompatibility_Dec10.pdf

I know of 71B to be used for its acid reducing abilities. 20-30% of malic acid. But the Renaissance yeast Andante does this as well. Kinda does it all. High abv high temp tolerant. Emits Low so2. NO h2s. And 30% malic removal.
I also heard an idea in “The Inside Winemaking Podcast” that made sense (Jim Duane a Napa winemaker. His podcasts are awesome). For full red wines that get barrel aged and then another year in the bottle- yeast doesn’t really matter. After aging, anything added to the profile from the yeast fades to become unnoticeable. So if planning to barrel age and not drink until 2.5-3yrs then the main yeast selection concerns would be all factors to finish dry and healthy. I though this was an interesting opinion.
IMG_1518.jpg

I have been using the following:
BIG REDS: Lalvin CLOS
WHITES: Lalvin R2

D254 ...I have tried this, but liked the results of CLOS better (maybe just personal taste)
BM4x4 ...going to try this in the very near future for some chilean wine

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back