Yeast rehydration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadvocate

Reaction score
I’m using Chr. Hansen Melody yeast this year. Their guidelines say to rehydrate in water temperature between 77 and 82°. I always use go firm which requires a much higher water temperature. I’m just wondering if anybody has any guidance on what to do here.

Their guidelines say to rehydrate in water temperature between 77 and 82°. I always use go firm which requires a much higher water temperature.

This article may explain the rehydration temps suggested versus "proper" temps:

https://blog.eckraus.com/adding-yeast-to-homemade-wine-dried-vs-rehydrating

If rehydrate, best to first follow the instructions of the yeast package, and if none, then I would recommend following "optimal" temps as described in the link above.

You do not "need" to rehydrate, as it has to be done properly else just pitching it in may be better, but if done properly some believe it helps the yeast make a better wine. Personally, I rehydrate.

I never used to rehydrate ever. Just sprinkle on top. Never had an issue once.

I rehydrate now- but only because I want to use Go-FIRM. And that’s how it’s called to be used with the yeast. No issues that way either tho.

I suppose I could just 1st mix in my go-firm into the must and sprinkle the yeast on.

For me it’s a matter of time management. I may just do that this season

I recommend that you follow the instructions. This non-saccyeast (40% of your combo) is VERY sensitive to non-chloronated water temp. You want to keep it between 68-77 degrees F. I've seen the charts on how badly the yeast does if not in this range. Rehydrate the yeast without stirring - pour the yeast on to the water and leave undisturbed for 10 minutes (you can clear any clumps or mounds so that most of the yeast is exposed to the surface of the water. After 10 minutes add in some of your must and stir. Try to get the temp of your starter and the must close. Wait 20 minutes and then apply throughout your must. Go Ferm is not recommended.

I'm using the non-sacc yeast, Prelude, this year. Similar instructions.

Good luck! Please report back on your results with Melody.

Latest posts

Back