Yeast recommendation for Elderberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
The recipe I have calls for EC-1118. My LHBS may or not may not have it. They do carry most of the Red Star brands, and I do recall some other Lavlin Yeasts there.

What do you recommend for an equivelant to the EC-1118 or think would be a suitable substitution?

Troy

I thought it was summer, thanks for verifying that. I have never made the Elderberry before but think I still will go with Wades recommendation. He hasn't steered me wrong except the time he convinced me to put a whole egg in the microwave! LOL

I would suggest any high alcohol tolerant yeast.

Get the alcohol up a bit in this wine. I always aim for a sweet high alcohol wine with my elderberries.
It will be like port !!!

Luc

Will do LUC, I will be starting this at the end of the week and plan on refering back to your recipe.

The recipe I have calls for EC-1118. My LHBS may or not may not have it. They do carry most of the Red Star brands, and I do recall some other Lavlin Yeasts there.

What do you recommend for an equivelant to the EC-1118 or think would be a suitable substitution?

Troy

I chose K1-V1116 for my first batch. It's still in the secondary, but the entire upper floor of my house smelled like heaven during the primary ferment!!

This stuff tasted *good* when I sampled it while racking out of the primary.

Bob, as per my other post,( the steam juicer PING) I didn't realize you had made it before. This my first try at EB and would appreciate any input you have, your recipe, procedure etc.

Troy

Bob, as per my other post,( the steam juicer PING) I didn't realize you had made it before. This my first try at EB and would appreciate any input you have, your recipe, procedure etc.

Troy

I'll post my exact recipe when I have my log book handy ...

I chose K1-V1116 for my first batch. It's still in the secondary, but the entire upper floor of my house smelled like heaven during the primary ferment!!

This stuff tasted *good* when I sampled it while racking out of the primary.

Bob, I used Lalvin K1-V1116 on my last batch of apple wine... worked great. Another good choice would be Red Star Cotes des Blanc.
:dg

Bob, I used Lalvin K1-V1116 on my last batch of apple wine... worked great. Another good choice would be Red Star Cotes des Blanc.
:dg

Cotes de blanc and K1 are both 'new' yeasts I've been experimenting with. cbd is what I used for my last strawberry that's also in secondary.

I like it too!

I us Cotes des Blanc on almost all my fruit wines but find that Pasteur Red gets better color extraction and etter bouquet in reds \where as the cotes does a better job in the whites and lighter reds.

Troy

Troy - looks like I used the basic recipe on crackedcork's site.

Process-wise, I was given the berries frozen (10#), without having been destemmed first. I spent a lot of time picking out stems and green berries.

Once ready, I put the berries in a bag inside the primary and poured about 2 gallons of boiling water over them. I mashed them up with a potato masher.

From there, I continued with the same basic process used for just about any wine.

The initial SG was 1013. I adjusted to 1096.
Initial acid was ~.2. I adjusted to .6 with acid blend.
Yeast = K1-V1116, pitched as a starter

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back