Yeast Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch0808

Junior
Reaction score
I have bought 2 kits to make and i was wondering if I could just finish the first kit and rack to secondary then start my 2nd kit on top of the yeast.
Or would i be better off just cleaning everything and starting a new batch with new yeast
The yeast that came with it is ec-1118

First kit is
RJS international Gewurztraminer

2nd kit is
Wine Expert World Vineyard Washington Riesling

Not sure why you'd want to do this when fresh yeast packets come in the kits and only cost $1-$2. You're surely not saving anything by doing this and may inadvertently contaminate the second batch. But the if you're just looking to experiment - have at it!

Another question on yeast - I have used Lalvin 71B for a while now but recently I have seen a yeast labeled Lalvin 71B-1122. Is this just a labeling change or a new version of 71B? If it is a new version, what is the difference from the old one?

Yeast is inexpensive and the EC-1118 that seems to come with all kits is a workhorse guaranteed to work but will not necessarily give you the best finished product. Consider researching the best yeasts for the varietals you are fermenting and going outside the box. I have accumulated quite a bit of unused EC-1118, and just used some of it for making a Danish pastry. Very tasty!

Another question on yeast - I have used Lalvin 71B for a while now but recently I have seen a yeast labeled Lalvin 71B-1122. Is this just a labeling change or a new version of 71B? If it is a new version, what is the difference from the old one?

I think these are the same product, and one is just the commonly used short form. Look at this page on Lallemand's website: Lalvin 71B | Lallemand Brewing

All of the text refers to "71b" but the label on the sachet says "71b-1122."

Latest posts

Back