yeast question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saskman

Junior
Reaction score
I want to make the following recipe but how much yeast do I use?
and wouldnt it be better to put an airlock on it as soon as you add the yeast?

2 cans (11.5 oz) Welch's 100% frozen grape concentrate
1-1/4 lbs granulated sugar
2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
water to make 1 gallon
wine yeast
Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and add frozen concentrate. Add additional water to make one gallon and pour into secondary. Add remaining ingredients except yeast. Cover with napkin fastened with rubber band and set aside 12 hours. Add activated wine yeast and recover with napkin. When active fermentation slows down (about 5 days), fit airlock. When clear, rack, top up and refit airlock. After additional 30 days, stabilize, sweeten if desired and rack into bottles. [Author's adaptation of a friend's recipe]

One packet of yeast is good for 5 gallons. If you are making only a few gallons the full packet will still be ok. The unused yeast will settle out. As for the type of yeast to use, I am not sure since I have not made wine from concentrate although others on this site have.

When wine is fermenting it produces a lot of CO2 gas so you really want as much of that gas to escape the wine during fermentation which is why I would wait until the fermentation is completed before using an air lock.

Latest posts

Back