Yeast Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevelaz

Reaction score
Im getting ready to pitch my yeast into my Chilean Chardonnay juice bucket. The temp of my must is about 64 deg. however im using D47 yeast that says it has temp range of 59-68 deg. This is my first time doing a white...

So am i correct in assuming im good to go at my must temp of 64?

I want to do a cooler ferment on this than that of my reds.

Also, my yeast re-hydration is not taking off at all on this one. I re-hydrated with go ferm and then added some must after about 20 min. Its been a good 45 min and i really do not see anything happening yet... I wonder if the temp of the re-hydrated mix has to come down some? Right now is in low 80s.... My red rc212 took off nicely...

Last edited:
Im getting ready to pitch my yeast into my Chilean Chardonnay juice bucket. The temp of my must is about 64 deg. however im using D47 yeast that says it has temp range of 59-68 deg. This is my first time doing a white...

Also, my yeast re-hydration is not taking off at all on this one. I re-hydrated with go ferm and then added some must after about 20 min. Its been a good 45 min and i really do not see anything happening yet... I wonder if the temp of the re-hydrated mix has to come down some? Right now is in low 80s.... My red rc212 took off nicely...

I'm doing a Chard right now with CY3079, and a Pinot Gris with D47, both at 60F. Pitched at 60F a week ago, bout half done, slow, but going just fine........

Fret not. That is a good temp, but things will be slower, which is what you want. We did D47 this last season on 900 lbs of Chard and it turned out nice.

Ok. Thanks! Will the d47 increase the temp once it starts going? Right now i have it in my basement with the basement temp at about 64-65 deg.

Also Norcal, did you do malo on that batch? Im wondering if i should do it on the chard or not. (i was leaning towards not) I am doing malo my reds .

Fermentation will cause temps to rise. I was after the buttery style Chard, used beta malo, which is a big producer of diacetyl.

Latest posts

Back