Yeast question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okgottago

Home Grown N WV
Reaction score
I tried for the first time last year to make wine. I used the berrys that grow on the rock breaks in my yard, I know them as wine berrys. I followed a recipe I found online and it turned out fabulouse but My airlock was not sealed correctly and after fermintation I kept opening the bucket to let people try it and it got sour. When I first tried it I good not believe how good it tasted. My question is this: The little packs of yeast you add, how many gallons is one pack good for and is it ok to bottle the wine after it stopps fermenting. Any help would be much appreciated. I know there are books out but with my job and everything I dont have alot of time to read. Thanks...

All yeast packets will do 6 gallons. If making less than that I would still add the whole packet. No, you should not bottle after the yeast stops. The next steps are very important. You must stabilize (potassium Metabisulfite) and then clear. Fruit wines can take months to clear. The idea is to make the wine as clear as you can. You will also "rack" the wine a number of times. It's best to read up on the steps to make a fine wine. Check out the recipe section here.

Lets put a correction here. You need to stabilize with Sorbate. You add sulfites as an anti oxidant to keep the wine from turning brown and oxidized.

Ops... meant Sorbate.. my bad Musta been dat wine eye bean drinking.. hic hic.. :d

Are there any pointers anyone can give me as a rookie wine maker?
Read, Follow and understand the directions. If you dont understand ASK here.
And
The 3 "P's"
Patience
Patience
Patience yoyu cant rush wine
3"T's"
Taste
Taste
Taste what you are making during fermentation

Thanks a good thread for a novice like me,who dreams to be a good wine brewer one day.

Batch size???

I want to make a big batch of wine, say around 20gal or more. Should I make one big batch or 2 or 3 smaller ones. I dont have the fermenters yet but am getting ready to order them from E.C. Kraus. I am looking at the 22 gal tuff-tank and the 6gal. screw top bucket. What would you recomend?

I'm guessing all the wine will be the same.
You can do the primary in any clean and sanitized food grade plastic or stainless. Once finished you will need a container that will accept all and not have any head space and airtight.
I would recommend getting carboys for aging with an airlock. No need to get expensive equipment for such a small amount.
Do you plan on making alot of wine frequently?

You need to make enough wine to completely fill up the vessel that you will be using for secondary fermentation and bulk aging in and a little extra for topping up after racking, personally Id get glass or barrel for use after primary fermentation.

Yes all the wine will be the same.
I am just going to use the berrys I have growing around my house. So I am going to most likely do a batch or two a year. I am getting hooked on making wine. I wish I had more time to expand into different wines but with work and all the other things going on I dont have the time. I will be askiing alot more questions and I thank you guys for all your help. :D

Latest posts

Back