Yeast question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbullard1

Reaction score
I am about to start a white grape/raspberry frozen juice wine from Jack Kellers site
It calls for Sauterne yeast and I don't have any
I have the following

Lalvin:
K1-1116

Redstar:
Cote des blancs
Montrachet
Pasteur Champagne
Pasteur Red
Premier Cuvee

Any suggestions? Thanks

I would say Cotes Des Blnc or Montrachet is the closest in that order. Beware that Cotes Des Blanc is a slow going yeast but works great. May take 3 days to start if not doing a starter, It always starts though.

Your Lalvin K1-1116 would probably work fine... it is recommended for low-nutrient musts as this juice blend will most likely be.

I would say Cotes Des Blnc or Montrachet is the closest in that order. Beware that Cotes Des Blanc is a slow going yeast but works great. May take 3 days to start if not doing a starter, It always starts though.

Well I used Cotes des Blancs and added some nutrient and energizer to the must. I took about a pint of must and kept it at 80 degrees and added the yeast on the 24th, I pitched the yeast in on the morning of the 25th and set it in the kitchen on top of the refrigerator where the temperature is around 76 degrees. Checked it a few minutes ago and am I glad I had 3 inches head space in the primary. Its fermenting almost like boiling water :cool: with a large head of foam
Thanks for the help

Latest posts

Back